Looks like bristle worm attack!!!!!

greene394

Ok my foxface is REALLY REALLY ugly at the moment!! He has bristles on his snout. Looks like his upper lip is gone or either swollen up so bad all u see is his upper teeth. I will try and get a pic so u can see, but it will be hard to see. Is there anything I can do?? I can not catch him and try and pull them out cause I dont want to get stung myself. Do I need to just keep an eye on him?? He seems ok. He is swimming around like normal and does not seem to be bothered by it too much. Has this happend to anyone before?? Just courious....Thanks all!!

lcstorc

Someone posted a bluespot with a face full of bristles a while ago. I'm not sure if I would try to catch him to remove them even if you could. That may just stress him out too much.
I think all you can do is watch him for a secondary infection and have a QT ready to treat if he does get one. Hopefully he will recover. Looks like he tried to have the wrong snack.

greene394

lol!!! I totally agree....I would not catch him either, I just wanted others to know I was not going to. My cleaner wrasse is paying close attention to him and trying to pick at the snout. Could it be trying to help remove the bristles??
And what do I need to be watching for with the infection?? will there be visible sighns of it? Never had a fish to have an infection.

lcstorc

I don't think the wrasse would go after the bristles but that is just a guess. They generally eat parasites so I would think it was a good thing to have the cleaner there. I'm really guessing there.
As far as infection just look for anything changing. Feeding habits or hiding all the time.
Maybe check out Lee's threads and see if there is advice there that you can use.

greene394

Will do! Thanks a bunch!! Wish I could get some good pics of him to show, but there is just NO WAY with the camera I have! Its really interesting to see!! Sux!