Looking for some advice!!!

chuck116

Hello All ! Thanks in advance for the help, You guys and gals are always willing. I was givin an 8 gallon oceanic cube that a friend of mine gave up on, and needless to say I am VERY excited. Although I have many questions my first one is: . Maybe he ran the pump low on water because although they are not very powerful it did not seem to pump very well , with it came a maxi-jet 1200 that he has in the pump chamber. When i run the pump it cycles the water with great flow ,but it seems that the water is not returning quick enough, but at the same time its is not pumping air. my fear is that with evaporation it may end up pumping air. I dont want to ruin either the pump or my new biocube. Is there a mod that i can perform that will work? Thanks again. Chuck.

lcstorc

I don't know any way of adjusting the Maxi Jets. You could try a 900. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.
I look forward to see your new baby.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Is there any head pressure on the pump? Does the pump have to pump the water up to any degree? Not familiar with the Biocube.

chuck116

the pump sits in the back, it just pumps the water about four inches. the pump pumps fine in my sink. i think that the return rate back to the pump is not fast enough due to the height of the walls. I think I may take the advice from Lynn until I can find out more unless someone knows. I would rather have a little less flow then ruin my new gift.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Oh, I thought the pump was having trouble when you installed it in the Cube, but was fine when you tried it in the sink. Then I would say that your overflow is not rated for 1200 GPH. Definitely go with a smaller return pump, it's only 8 gallons for crying out loud!

chuck116

ok thanks . I thought flow was good ! and more was better ! LOL ! it seems the 8 gallon guys and gals are going with the maxi jet 606. Back to the store tomorrow. With getting this cube for free I have a few extra bucks to put into it before i stock it. I know you said you were not familiar wiyh cubes but I know you KNOW corals. Any suggestions from you or the other reefers? Thanks tons !!! Chuck.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
You can put just about any softy in there. Mushrooms, leathers. Euphyllias etc. Just remember proportion. Get small frags and allow them to grow. You can have multiple Euphie species touching one another with out competition, but others coral species will not take their advances. It would be great to have all Euphies, I think that would look cool. Try to stay away from fast growing, invasive species like GSP and Xenia.