Looking for an overflow

iano

I was looking for a good reliable overflow for my aquarium. I have a 50 gal reef. I was looking at both the Life reef and Eshopps. Any and all suggestions welcome

Life reef is a good product but expensive
The Eshopps one good too.
I use the eshopps 300.
Its loud, but then so are most overflow boxes

I got an Eshopps overflow (Pf-800) and it hasn't broken siphon once. The noise was bad when I first set it up but an airline tubing down the drain solved that problem.

Drilling is better, but if you really don't want to risk destroying a 200 dollar tank, I'd go with an Eshopps overflow.

landshark

+ 2 for drilling the tank, but if you are not comfortable with that overflow box is a good solution, I got an overflow from aquatraders.com they don’t have a good rep but for the price I took a chance and I am satisfy with the result.

Uslanja

We went with the Eshopps and then a device found here on RS known as "Gurgle Buster". Never any siphon problems and no noise.

I was thinking of getting a 600gph CPR Overflow, at least I liked what I saw in their presentation video

CPR CS Overflow Boxes

Not to bash any particular company, I like the looks of that design. BUT:

From what I see it's a lot more prone to failure, simply because if the vacuum line isn't attached and working, it can break siphon pretty easy. At least with a U tube type overflow, the water velocity is more, pushing air though easier (from what I've seen)

DaveK

I agree, I can't say enough bad stuff about a CPR overflow. It's got a lot of inherent design problems that will lead to floods. In addition to the ones mentioned above, the siphon is almost impossible to clean. Also the bulkhead fittings are cheep and can break off.

bbe22

To answer your question, coming from a guy that uses over-flows in two different tanks, not by choice, drill your tank. If you must go with overflow, make sure to get a lot more than you think you need. You want redundancy, make sure to have two tubes, both with a solid siphon on them. They are going to be loud, fitting a towel over them will help. Durso stand pipes are hard to fit in them, good luck. Get rid of the sponges in the stand pipes if you don't use the Durso system, but be prepared for overflows, as your water level will run very low. I'd get some c-clamps to hold them in place, not on the pipes, but on either side to make sure they don't get knocked out of suction. I've flooded my tank rooms 4 times using overflows. Heed my warning or don't. My opinion is drill your tanks, even though I've become very proficient at using overflows. I wish you the best of luck. Oh, yeah, don't use that CPR crap, it sucks.

Reef Wall

I use an Eshopps 300 for my 40 gal with a 10 gal sump. I have not had any problems yet. I feel it is a good product. I would however, if you have not stocked the tank, recommend drilling it.

Hemlock

The trick to overflows, speaking from experience before I drilled my tank for the glass holes overflow was you need to have a pump powerful enough to push through the U tube or tubes and you will be fine, if you don't you're going to experience a tiny bubble that gets bigger and bigger then you'll be getting the air line out trying to suck it out every couple of days. That's my two cents..lol other than that you should be fine.