Long Nose Hawkfish Necropsy

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Recently I lost my Long Nose hawkfish after nearly 2 years in my tank. About 4 weeks ago I noticed that he/she wasn't eating. For the first 2 weeks I noticed that it would get excited at meal time but wouldn't take in any food. I tried live mysis, live saltwater grass shrimp, live amphipods and brine shrimp to get it interested in food. Then the last 2 weeks it would not even show an interest until finally it expired. The specimen showed no external evidence of sickness and hits color and eyes remained bright and clear throughout the sickness.

I submit these pictures of the necropsy for discussion. Keep in mind that the internal organs of this species are very small and the gross dissection was performed under a dissecting microscope. I did not prepare any of the tissues for light microscopy examination. Further, I did not witness the fishes final death. He/she was alive when I left for my office in the morning and found dead on the bottom when I returned at 5pm. I am assuming that it had not been that long from time of death since there were no CUC on or near the specimen. Although, by the retracted look of the head, rigor mortis has set in and there was some change in the eye color to red.

Whole specimen. It measured ~4".

DSC_0004-28.jpg

Eye showing clarity.

2008_10_21_21_27_22.jpg

Here is the gill after removing the operculum.

2008_10_21_21_27_8.jpg

Internal organs after raising body wall. I have labeled the internal organs for simplicity. The most striking thing about this gross section is the "foamy substance" labeled in red. I do not know if this substance is a result of death or something else.

2008_10_21_21_27_38.jpg

I can say that the foam is not of air bubbles but oil droplets after further examination.

2008_10_21_21_27_52.jpg

2008_10_21_21_29_20.jpg

I also discovered something hard in the stomach as can be seen in this photo. Here are the internal organs removed and dissected from their connective tissues to reveal the organs.

2008_10_21_21_28_21.jpg

Here is a photo of what I found in the stomach. It was about 6mm x 2mm.

2008_10_21_21_28_31.jpg

I was intrigued by the uniformity of the holes in this finding and it cracked when I pushed on it with a pin, it was like a hard chalk.

2008_10_21_21_28_43.jpg

Here it is after allowing to dry.

2008_10_21_21_25_57.jpg

Here is the liver and its related vessels.

2008_10_21_21_29_8.jpg

So why did this fish die? Could the oil droplets be a part of the uterus if this was a female? Eggs? Possibly a tumor? Or a natural part of death? Did the hard object in the stomach cause its demise? Could there have been a problem in the gills? Many questions. I may never know what took my little friend, but I feel better looking for an answer.

Last edited:

blue_eyes53813

I am sorry for your loss Scott... I have no ideas on what may have taken its life.... The white mass in the stomach is interesting...

Octoman

Scott, I am very sorry to hear about Burberry. I know he was a loved fish.

I have seen bigger fragments just like that when I looked at my sand under the scope. I believe it might be a fragment of a mollusk shell. Whatever it is, it is of biological origin and must be common in the TBS sand. I would presume that he/she accidently ingested that while grabbing a food item off the bottom. Being that large, I would suspect that it formed a blockage and was the cause of death.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! Scott that's AWFUL! Part of life yes... I know that doesn't make it any better bro! I'm sorry!!

Excellent write up! I'm with Mark on that one....Very interesting either way.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I'm sorry for your loss Scott :tears:
The dissection and photos are very interesting, can you magnify that hard piece that was causing the blockage ?

framerguy

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish Scott. This is quite over my head so I can't offer anything to the discussion. It's interesting none the less.

Anselth

scott, I'll have to take a look back through some of my old notes, I might be able to figure out the oil mass, but that hard bit is a mystery. I'll see about contacting the old ichthyology prof if he's still at school. If it's chalky, it may have been precipitated calcium carbonate, perhaps the hawk ingested something which acted as a precipitating agent? You did drip kalk, correct? The uniformity is odd, however. Of course, it's also possible that he ingested that for some reason and it caused a blockage.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
No I wasn't dripping kalk. In fact, my Ca was below 400 until just recently, following the hawks death, I started the Balling Method for supplementing. It's possible that he did ingest something, as you and Mark have suggested. It may be multi factorial as well and the stomach mass and oily mass are related. Thanks for all your help!

sambrinar

This is a very interesting thread. I can't say that I have ever seen a necropsy. I agree that the hard substance could have cause a blockage, similar to a human choking perhaps. thanks for sharing,,, but

sorry for your loss, it was a beautiful fish

Snelly40

sorry for your loss, those are grat fish.
Thank you for the great pics however, those are great. I am truly impressed with your disecting skills!

Octoman

Scott, I am almost certain now that it is a piece of Foraminifera test. Genus Archaias.

I have seen both the whole tests and fragments in my sand, so I know they are present in the TBS sand.

Archaias2065T-full.jpg

BarbMazz

This is fascinating. The pattern in the shell Mark posted sure does look very similar.

How you doing, Scott?

lcstorc

People like you who are willing to put the time and effort into understanding these animals lives and deaths are what make this hobby so wonderful.
Sorry for the loss of your friend. You love all of your fishy friends but I know this was one of your favorites.