Long hair creature!

imaccat

A while ago in my FOWLR I used to see a long 'hair' , 2-3 inches, protruding from my LR. It would waft around in the current for a while and then disappear very quickly. It's gone now, my fish used to love trying to eat it so I assume one of them was quick enough to get it, but I always wondered what it was.

Anybody got any ideas.

imaccat

Sounds like a Vermetid snail letting out it's "net" or a tube worm doing the same thing.

What do you think?

Like this maybe:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/14412-tube-worm-pest.html

Essmaker,

Thanks for the info.

I don't think it is the Vermetid snail as it was only ever a single filament/hair, not a net and it didn't look like it was mucus.

The closest thing to it seems to be the spaghetti worm from the link you sent, but again only ever a single filament, so not sure.

1Reefer

I have some things that seem like what your talking about, I think they are some sort of spagetti or medusa worm.... it seems they can build tubes out of sand if they collect enough peices while "waving" for food.... idk mine could be something entirly different.... are the "hair" whitish clear color??

imaccat

Mine came from the live rock, do I never saw the source or it's 'home' and yes it was white/clear

cbrownfish

Vermetid snails do not exclusively use the "net" approach. A single strand, like a fishing line, is very common.