Live Rock-Sand

wazzifam

2 Questions are the focus here.

#1. How would one go about adding live rock to a system that is running already without cycling tank again.

#2. How would one go about adding any amount of sand to DT. Obvious to shut off pumps/filtration. but what about the cloud of smoot it will put throuigh the tank as it settles.

I Have an opportunity to add some rock. But with all the problems Ive tried to overcome. How good of an idea is it really? Rock would help with filtration after all.......and hiding spots for fish....

jamielai

When you add any LR to your tank you will give it a small cycle. So, you want to add the rock in small amounts and wait a while before you add anymore. The length of time to wait I am not too sure ( I think a few weeks) so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. Hope this helps

jjohnson3

You can also put all the live rock in a tub with a powerhead for a month or 2. Test ammonia after 1 month. If it is high do a 50% WC. Then wait 1 month and test again. Add all rock

wazzifam

ok so I should not take rock directly from store and place it in the tank?

or is there a word that should be used to the LFS, I will be adding a couple of branches and 1 base peice I think. but want it tank ready.

jjohnson3

I would cycle the rock as shown above. That way there will be a verrrry minimal ammonia spike if anything at all. Adding a large peice of rock straight from the LFS could cause an ammonia spike. If the rocks you want have been at the LFS for a while then there will be little die-off anyway. You will still have some die-off no matter what you do.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
ok so I should not take rock directly from store and place it in the tank?

No absolutely not ! Even if this rock is sold as fully cured I would place it in a tub with saltwater and test it before adding it to an established tank, otherwise you could have an ammonia spike and kill all your fish. if the rock isn't cured then I would do as jjohnson3 suggested.

You can also put all the live rock in a tub with a powerhead for a month or 2. Test ammonia after 1 month. If it is high do a 50% WC. Then wait 1 month and test again. Add all rock