little help needed

cheely13

OK guys here is my problem well i think i have 2 problems actually. I am starting to get a outbreak of glass anemones I have tried to get rid of them so i thought i would get a few peppermint shrimp. This brings me to problem 2 my shrimp lasted about 3 days and I cant keep any bottom dwellers for very long in my tank have tried a bunch of different gobies they never last longer then a few days im thinking i have some type of predator in my live rock. OK here is my plan I was going to take out all the live rock and place it in rodi water for a few days to kill off anything that might be in it I do realize that the rock will no longer be alive so is this plan just a waste of time and money. Any suggestions welcome dont really want to use chemicals though. a little about the tank 160 gal been up and running for a yr just a few softies (button polip, kenya tree, mushroom and a colt ) fish are 2 clowns, sailfin and tomi tang and a niger trigger
salt 1.025
temp 78
everything else is in normal range

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
you could freshwater dip your rock to see if you have a mantis or like predator, typically they will shoot out of the rock asap when the fresh water hits them, I would try and locate the specific rock rather than dipping them all but it's an option.

Then you could continue the fight with the nems as planned.

Typically when someone post their levels are fine it means they have no idea or they are off, not saying this is the case but if you test you know what they are off hand and it only takes a second to type them.

Well I am going to guess that the niger trigger is the reason that the shrimp did not last. As far as the gobies... I have not a clue about them. Could be a predator, like a mantis or gorilla crab, or they could have jumped ship and a pet ate em (happened to me a few times).

cheely13

eric ok so this weekend ill try the freshwater dip when i do my weekly water change and see if that helps ya i really didnt want to dip the hole tank i got about 200 pounds of rock but i know its a marathon not a sprint.

courterbobby yes if it was just the shrimp i thought it might be the trigger too but the shrimp were the size of him so it would have been a big meal. The gobies are the ones throwing me off.

sorry about before, here are my parameters i normally just test on Sundays
hope this helps alittle more

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium not tested
Alk not tested
SG 1.025
Temperature 78 deg
ph 7.8
used red sea test kit

Tank size 160 been running 1 yr on 5 sep
Lighting 6 t-5 1 400 MH
Filtration used a algea scrubber
Skimmer no skimmer used
aprox 200 pounds of rock 150 of sand
25 gal of water changed every sun

Adalius

I'm not going to say this is your problem, but (as I found out myself) the Red Sea kits are often wrong. Like very wrong. My nitrates were almost 4x what their test reported. If you do a search on here you'll see lots of people have issues with their test kits. Take a sample of your water to the LFS so they can test it and see if they confirm your numbers just to be safe so we can rule that out before you go crazy dipping 200 lbs.

cheely13

Adalius thats the only one i can get at my LFS i can bring them water though and they will test it to see if it is indeed my test kit it would explain all those nasty nems in the tank. OK so sat trip to the LFS then posibly dip on Sun as planned ill keep you posted as far as what they say.