lighting questions

ok so i got a new coral life 30" light in 65w act and 10,000w day light and i was wondering should i get a glass cover for the tank or acrylic or does it matter and what should i set me timers for like how long for day and night and all that good stuff
THanks a bunch!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I don't like glass or acrylic for our tanks. They inhibit/stop a very needed water-air Gas exchange. They also tend to trap heat IN the tank and cause temps to rise.

Skip it :)

CMG

The timers are up to you. I dont use my timers right now because I got crappy ones and they dont work right. I wake up and turn one switch on then get in the shower, eat breakfast, feed tank, bla bla. Then right before I leave for class/work I hit the second switch and all lights come on. Then when I get home I turn off one switch. Leave igt for a while then turn off the next.

So for you I would set your timers so you cn enjoy the tank. If you are at work from 8-5 then set the lights to turn on at like 10 or 11 am and stay on until 9-11pm. That way when you get home you can enjoy the tank. Make sure not to have all your lights come on at once. Do kind of a sun rise and sun set effect as best you can with what you have.

ok another question this time on a brownish thing at the bottom of the tanki have no idea wht it is and it looks like a rusty color and its on some rock

msbdiving

If the tank is newly cycling, it is probably diatoms. The best way to get things id'd is to post a pic. It really is worth a thousand words.