Lighting opinions-another

saltysupply

RS Sponsor
they look ok, however I would go with a brand that has a track record...i see many regrets with those types of lighting systems.

Varga

That is an Oddyssea fixture. the ballast it comes with is horrible. The fixture has been great for me but you have to replace the ballast which is another $100.

Uslanja

Hi Bigpapa! We have discovered after several lighting upgrades that the key to good lighting at an effective price is to get the correct lighting the first time. Always trying to save a dollar has resulted in a bucket of ineffective equipment in our back room. We purchased a metal halide pendant from Sunlight Supply and a ballast from Ice Cap. Well, we are still waiting (about 5 months now) for the UV shielding glass to arrive for the pendant, and Ice Cap has gone belly up. We finally ended up at AquaticLife and will never use any other companies lighting again! They are an American Company with a quality built product, excellent customer service and a lighting build for every application and tank. We are very satisfied customers and strongly recommend that you check out their product line. Give them a call, you will be pleasantly surprised at their knowledge and helpfulness! Let us know what you eventually go with!

AquaticLife LLC | Premium Marine Aquarium Products

Bigpapa

Hmmm, I am getting the opinion I should keep looking. Just after Christmas the budget is limited but I cant wait much longer to get a light.

Odyssea has had MAJOR ballast problems in the past. I don't know if the problems have been rectified or not. They were known to quit working or worse, start on fire! Do heavy research before proceeding.

Last edited:

jpsika08

I would stay away from Odyssea, it would help a lot to know a little more about your system to give you a better opinion.

Bigpapa

Other than it being a 110 high its 48 7/8 x 19 x 30 3/4. I only have soft corals-mostly mushrooms at this point and would like to eventually get a clam.

jpsika08

With 19" high I would seek 150watt MH's, but for the type of corals you intend on having you can find a good T5 fixture, maybe ATI.

jpsika08

Aaaa, thought it was in different order, wow, with that height consider even 400 watt MH's, T5 will not get through all that water, would love to see a pic of that tank. :)