Lighting for Bio Cube 14

kathya0321

Can anyone give me any ideas of different lighting options for my BC14? I am looking to remove the top and place something that will give me more airflow to help keep the temp down. Thanks.

reefer gladness

Maybe something like this? I've always been a fan of the technology used by Kessil and see favorable reviews from folks with the same BC14 tank. http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A150W_Special_Blend_LED_Aquarium_Light_Aquarium_LED_Pendant_Lights-Kessil-YH1111-FILTFILDLP-vi.html

There are more advanced lights available that would allow you to adjust the color spectrum and interface with controllers, etc. but to keep it simple I think the Kessil A150 would be a good choice. You would probably need to purchase the gooseneck clamp/mount separately unless you're willing to hang the light from overhead.

kathya0321

Maybe something like this? I've always been a fan of the technology used by Kessil and see favorable reviews from folks with the same BC14 tank. http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_A150W_Special_Blend_LED_Aquarium_Light_Aquarium_LED_Pendant_Lights-Kessil-YH1111-FILTFILDLP-vi.html

There are more advanced lights available that would allow you to adjust the color spectrum and interface with controllers, etc. but to keep it simple I think the Kessil A150 would be a good choice. You would probably need to purchase the gooseneck clamp/mount separately unless you're willing to hang the light from overhead.

So what kind of corals could I keep, I really am only interested in softies and LPS. I bought an Innovative Skkyelight 8w 14000k and now my duncan's are not coming out like before. Could this be the reason.

reefer gladness

So what kind of corals could I keep, I really am only interested in softies and LPS. I bought an Innovative Skkyelight 8w 14000k and now my duncan's are not coming out like before. Could this be the reason.

The Kessil A150 should be capable of supporting softies and LPS anywhere in your tank and possibly some SPS in the top half of a BC14.

Unfortunately the Innovative Marine unit you have is not producing enough PAR (usable light) to all areas of your tank and this may be why your duncans are not happy.

Before you go out and spend more money on new lights though there are other potential causes for the unhappy duncan - it may be hungry for one. I don't keep duncans but have heard on many occasions they like to be fed. Testing your water should always be the first thing on your list so we're not faulting the light for something else going on in the tank. Also, the duncan may just need some time to adjust to the new lighting or it may do better in a different location. The top-half of your tank centered under the LED light will provide the most amount of light for it.