Lighting for 30gal hex seahorse tank.

tex5620

In the initial stages of putting one together and can't come up with suitable lighting fixture for tank. I have 30gallon hex tank. Plan so far on aqua c remora proteinskimmer. I need a 20inch pcfixture so temp doesnt go up. Anybody have any experience with similar setup would be greatly appreciated.

panmanmatt

If you are just keeping the seahorses in the tank then a regular fluorescent fixture will do just fine.

tex5620

I thought about this one becuause I believe that it would also allow me to keep a aquaclear power filter on it as well.

Fishphan

I would avoid the JBJ light. I purchased one for my 25 gallon hex. The light itself is very flimsy and runs smoking hot. The light heated my water from 72 degrees to 82 degrees in a matter of six hours. The ballast for this light is also huge and runs extremely hot as well. I was actually afraid it was going to catch fire because of how hot it was running. Finally, the clamping device on the lamp is very flimsy. I was constantly afraid of the light falling into my tank and killing everything. I returned the JBJ and got a current sunpod instead.

tex5620

I was actually thinking of upgrading it to the 150w with the led's and fan to help cool the surface. Fishpan, you are the only one I know that has sayed anything negative about the jbj lamp. Anybody else hear anything negative.