Lighting a 20 long...

Jeremy0322

So, I think I am going home in about 2 weeks so I will hopefully be able to get most of my tank stuff, which means that I should be able to set a new tank up within a few months. I am currently looking for a light, and I have been having trouble finding one online that I may like. Few criteria..

-T5, PC wont work and im not dealing with the MH heat/energy consumption, dont have money for LED right now I dont think.

-Tank will be 30 inches long, so it will need to be that long. I could probably get away with a 24 inch light and just have 3 inch overlap on the sides, but if I can go the whole way I would like to.

-I could do a DIY I suppose, but without running a canopy that may be a little bit of a challenge. I did notice though that T5 bulbs tend to only come in 24" and 36" though so a DIY would let me fan them out on the sides allowing me to get all 30 inches covered. If I went this route I would need 24 watt bulbs, so I would want 4 of them I think, giving me 100 watts of lighting over a 20 gallon tank, enough to keep almost anything. If I went this route I would most likely go with the IceCap 660, because I love them and it works wonders lighting a tank.

So, anyone have any ideas for something I would be interested in. Its a big internet and I cant possibly find ALL options. Like I said, I would like a fixture, it would be easier, but DIY is not out of the question, it never is haha

-

lcstorc

I have only found 1 grand of T5 fixture that comes in 30in and that is the Nova Extreme. Not my favorite light. I ended up going with a 24in Finnex fixture which I absolutely love.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Catalina Aquarium makes a 30" fixture but like the NE it uses 24" bulbs in a 30" fixture. The beauty of the CA is that is has IDR's.

If I woke up in your shoes that's probably what I'd be going for. :)

LPS_Blasto

:smack:

I think thats crucial for T5 lights. I have a 24" T5 fixture from Catalina on my tank. It's got 6 bulbs 24w each with 7 moon lights and a remote control timer. I love it. Set the timer for the actinics. Set the timer for the daylights. Set the timer for the moon lights. Forget about it. Mines over 2yrs old and the remote batteries are still working. I don't even know what kind of batteries to buy for it, because I've never had to mess with it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:smack:

I think thats crucial for T5 lights. I have a 24" T5 fixture from Catalina on my tank. It's got 6 bulbs 24w each with 7 moon lights and a remote control timer. I love it. Set the timer for the actinics. Set the timer for the daylights. Set the timer for the moon lights. Forget about it. Mines over 2yrs old and the remote batteries are still working. I don't even know what kind of batteries to buy for it, because I've never had to mess with it.

Wow! That says a lot! Thanks for the input :)