Light for frag tank?

msbdiving

I was thinking the Nova extreme 24" 4x24w t-5. I know it is ideal to have an individual reflector but the tank is only 12" deep. Any thoughts on this?

Additionally, I was think of going to a 6x24w for my 40 display but am hesitant because of the lack of a shimmer effect. Can someone send me some pics of theirs that use t-5's. My lfs stores that I have been to only use MH.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That would be good for most anything except maybe your HIGH light loving critters but I have less than that on my Frag Tank. Granted you wont have the "Shimmer" but that can be done with MOON lights if you're hearts set on "shimmer". The good news is you wont have to deal with a lot of heat and replacement cost of the bulbs like you do with MH. A good portion of the GOOD/bad of T5's is the actual bulbs themselves. With T5's they are inexpensive enough to where you can afford to experiment with different arrangements without taking out a loan.

I have a 10g Frag tank with a 24" Coralife 130W PC fixture and LOVE it. If I were doing it over it would be a T5 fixture though. :)

msbdiving

Not that I am that interested in a shimmer effect for the frag tank. I was also thinking of switching out my 150mh 2x24 t5 in my 30L"X18D"X 16W" 40g for a 6x24w t-5. I have clams at the bottom currently and am wondering if they would be ok or if I might need to move them up a bit.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You can "Add" LED moonlight to just about any light arrangement and get the "Shimmer" effect to SOME degree. It wont be as pronounced as the shimmer from MH but it looks good. The reason MH and LEDs have the shimmer is they are a concentrated light source (light comes from a small area) which lends to shadows and reflections that cause the shimmer. With T5's the light comes from a much broader area there by almost eliminated the shadows (ergo Shimmer).

I think it's worth it to go T5 though. Less heat.. less energy (Going GREEN aren't we?) and less replacement cost. Win-Win-Win :)

msbdiving

You think the clams will be ok about 20" away from the light with the t-5's though? Catalina 6X24 t-5. From what I have read, the jury is still out on a complete 100% verdict for sps and clams unless they are up top. I am not sure if it is because of a lack of use in t-5s or a holding on to MH "dinosaurs" as some would put it. I wish Dale were here with examples.

lcstorc

What type of clam is it?
Some prefer the rocks and some prefer the sand.
If it is a maxima or crocea then they prefer the rocks anyway so put it higher in the tank.