light acclimation

funkpolice

I just ordered an ATI 6X54W HO T5 fixture. My current lighting is 260W of 1 yr old pc bulbs. This is going to be a considerable lighting upgrade, so I'm looking into methods of light acclimation. I was thinking of using 5 pcs of screen and removing 1 a week until they are all gone. Will this work? The bulbs I picked were 2 blue plus, 1 true acticnic, 3 color pro, will this make a good combo? I'd appreciate you're comments.
bill

ReefLady

Staff member
Any chance you can turn only a couple bulbs at a time? 2 for a couple weeks, then three, etc. Another possibility is to shorten the photo period considerably, then gradually increase.
Screen would probably work, but depending on the type of screen I'd be concerned if it would be "safe" in SW. Plastic egg crate (I know there is a technical term for it, but I can't think of it) might also work.
Do you have aquascaping the might allow you to place corals under a ledge or overhang?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Funk good deal on the new fixture. Your "plan" sounds good but it might need some slight "tweaking". 5 layers of screen will block a LOT of light. It's a trial and error thing but what you're wanting it to as closely as you can (now real way to be precise) match the current light amount striking the coral and then gradually increase it.

We're gonna need LOTS of pics for your before & after :)

BLAKEJOHN

If you have access to a photography light meter or a PAR meter you could take a reading with your current lights and then hook up your new lights and use nilon window screen until you have an identical reading.

funkpolice

thanks for the replies. I don't have access to a par meter, unless my photo club has a secret one. All the bulbs are different, so turning on only a few would make an ugly tank for a while. I thought about an adjusted photo period, but I'm not sure that would be the smoothest transition. I'm going to look really hard for a meter, but if I don't get one, I guess I'll try to guess the amount of light getting through the screens. The new light means I can use the old lighting for my new frag tank and finally clean out all that xenia. I'm super excited and will post pics for sure. Thanks for the input, and if anyone else has any other ideas let me know. Another thing I thought of was changing the height of the lights over a period of time, would that be effective? Also, if anyone has a hip 6 bulb combination I'm all ears, I ordered 2-pure blue, 1-acticnic, and 3-pro color all from ATI, but that was just a guess. Thanks again,
bill

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Increasing the fixture height would also help some but I do prefer the "Screen" method as I've not had it fail me yet.