Let's talk calcium reactors,

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Ok I need a little help understanding how a calcium reactor works, I am looking into getting one for a 65 gallon reef.

I have a high end smith medium duty co2 regulator, brass bubble counter, ideal needle valve, and clippard solenoid along with a 20lb co2 tank. I know tank is huge but less I have to refill it.:)

What I know about calcium reactors is the co2 breaks down the calcium that is dispersed into the tank. I also know the co2 will drop the ph so there has to be a balance or ph meter to shut down the co2 if the ph drops to low.

I have a vague understanding of the CR but have never seen one in action or in person. I have it mentally pictured working like a phosban reactor is that correct? I assume water flows through media keeping it in constant motion allowing the co2 to break it down then water returns to the tank. Also the amount of co2 determines how fast the media breaks down which in turn determines the calcium levels in the tank.

Ok so now you know what I know, is there anything I missed or you think I should know?

The next thing would be what brand would you recommend to suit a 65 gallon tank? I would prefer not to spend 200+ on this I have seen some for $50 good for up to 75 gallon. These things seem to be very simple yet very expensive, why?

Ok looking forward to your advice and suggestions.

Thanks
Eric G

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Ok this is about the cheapest I could find that and consider buying Via Aqua AC-10 for up to 75 gallons, average price 54.00

The only customer reviews I could find where on marine depot and that was only two. I think it's worth a try but would be curious to here any thoughts or experiences with this product?

Lol 4 post and they are all mine where is everyone at?

Thanks
Eric

jnohs

I also have a vauge undersatnding but would like to add that some of them allow you to run extreamly acdic levels in side the reactor and the ph meter just turns on and off a return pump. I would not recomend this type off set up because if there was a malfunction and the retun pump didnt stop there will be an in fluxx of extreamly acdic water witch could change the ph of your tank rapidly. Even though this is a morer efficent set up as far as co2 usage effenciay and pump run time it is also worse as far as disater is concerned and also will be very powerfull witch means it wil easily keep your cal in check but will also be to good and be to fast of a recovery and cause big cal swings. If the setup is configured with a lower internal ph then there will be less powerfull swing. Just like my chiller witch is 1/10 hp and brings my temp raises the temp in 2 hours. but a 1/5th hp would raise it in an hour witch would be to fast of a swing and probably cause problems

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't have to worry about turning a pump on and off, my regulator has a solenoid that will hook to a ph meter and if there is any change in ph it will turn off the co2, the pump will run 24/7.

I am going to try and equal it out so it can run 24/7 with minimum off time. Slow and steady vs all out constantly turning on and off. The ph meter is just a fail safe in case I overload the co2 for some reason.

Eric