Let the Pro's Weigh In Please.

Grasspicker

Hello All,

I would really like to eventually build my own set up in my basement. I have plenty of room for a very large project and would like some advice on where to start.

What to look for (Tank Wise) Can I build it. If So what out of. Are there any sites I could get ideas from.

If any of you could help me with some start up sites I would appreciate it. Im not looking to get this thing done over night. I would like for it to be an ongoing project. Thanks in advance everyone. :hallo:

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would think your on a very good site for what you want to do. I would begin searching out the Tank Journals.

Grasspicker

yea I've been checking out a lot of folks. What im looking for is where to buy things for diy projects and How too things ect. Sorry I wasnt more specific im all jacked up on Coffee :woohoo: I'm not much of a Mountian Dew fan. :turntable

Im excited. Today my wife and I go for our 2nd ultrasound. :woohoo:

I hope to get some good pictures. :bouncer:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Congrats!
Well, What are you looking to do? Want to build a skimmer or something?
Check out the diy section.

Grasspicker

Thats the kind of thing im looking for varga. (What is best for a Reef/Fish Tank) as far as structure.
Acrylic
Glass
Plywood w/ Acrylic
Plywood w/ Glass

Im just really trying to get people to talking so I can base my decisions on what I see debated in this thread.

Frankie. I would consider building everything because I think it would just be cool to do it all but I wouldnt have the first idea where to start. Ive always been the learning type. I catch on very fast and im not afraid of a taking on a task.

framerguy

If you are going to build the actual tank yourself then I think using plywood would be the easiest way to go. The only glass you would need would be for the front. I googled "building a plywood aquarium" and came up with several sites. The two part epoxy is going to be your biggest expense probably...that stuff is expensive. I have built a lot of my own equipment so you can check out my thread... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/31882-akwareum-too.html ... or look in the DIY section for ideas. PMs are good too just to ask a question or to link someone to a thread you want them to look at. I do that to Frankie a lot! If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

DeepBlue

I am a fan of glass. Acrylic scratches too easily and can look terrible over time. When I upgrade my tank, whether I build myself or buy, I will get Starfire glass for the front and sides for sure. Greater clarity, almost like there is nothing between you and your reef. Very nice...

Check out Varga's build thread...absolutely awesome! VERY professional plywood tank...I'm sure he could help you out a lot.

God bless,
Chris

Frankie

RS STAFF
That's really a matter of opinion. Starphire doesn't even come close to the clarity of acrylic. It also scratches easy, (all low iron glass does) and once scratched its permanent.
Acrylic can be repaired, buffed, easily drilled and is stronger then glass.
It also scratches easy if your not careful. Personally my next tank will be acrylic. I am a glass fan, (built my current tank out of SP glass) but am more into the clarity these days.
If your interested in building a large skimmer or ca++ reactor let me know. I built both, though Framerguy did a great job also and could be a great resource

Grasspicker

Good post.

Thats what im hoping for to hear everyones opinions. :thumbup: I would def be interested in your skimmer ideas frankie. Do you have a link.