Led

PootyTang

So come this next summer I will be moving everything out of my 125 tank (5') into a new, LONGER 125 (6'). I plan on using the existing 125 as a sump and thus the lights will be going with it and I will need lights for the 6'.
I have done quite a bit of research on LEDs and I think of all my options, these are my best bet. The problem is, since PFO went out of business and I'm not really looking to do it myself, I don't know where I can get lights!
I figured I'd post this quite a few months in advance in hopes that I can figure something out.
Thanks alot for any help

chipmunkofdoom2

DIY is pretty much your only choice at this point. A few places pop up every once in a while, but LED fixtures are only really suitable for aquarium use if they're high quality and high powered, and it's hard to tell which LEDs mfgs use. They could be cheap, they could be great... it's a toss up.

It's really not that difficult to DIY, but bear in mind the upfront cost will be substantial, but LEDs are a great choice.

twoclowns

there are other led lighting companies out there I saw one in either fosters and smith, marine depot, or that pet place, I'll see if I can find it and post it for you. -Keith

DaveK

I believe that in time LED lighting will be the way to go for a reef. Today, now, even if you can find an LED fixture, they are not cost effective. In other words, it takes many years of use to recoup the additional cost from the power savings. This assumes nothing goes wrong with the LED fixture.

Unless you want to go the DIY route, and build it yourself, just so you have LED lighting, I recommend that you go with either MH or T5 lighting.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I believe that in time LED lighting will be the way to go for a reef. Today, now, even if you can find an LED fixture, they are not cost effective. In other words, it takes many years of use to recoup the additional cost from the power savings. This assumes nothing goes wrong with the LED fixture.

Unless you want to go the DIY route, and build it yourself, just so you have LED lighting, I recommend that you go with either MH or T5 lighting.

I agree with Dave that LED shows promise, but is not cost effective. I work with technology professionally, many types, and one thing I learned is the technology serves only to solve problems; and that a technology, even if it is more advanced, isn't the best if it doesn't. In this case, LED is not proven to address the needs of a reef tank; it certainly does not do a better job than MH or T5. It has a (much) greater cost, so while it is a newer technology, it is not a better technology for a reef aquarium.

chipmunkofdoom2

LED is not proven to address the needs of a reef tank;

Absolutely not true. View all the custom builds here. You can see the results of reef tanks, some with anemones and SPSs, all running with LEDs. If you have PAR readings or other comparisons to use as evidence, then please speak up... I seem to think that keeping some of the most light demanding aquatic creatures under LEDs means they're a perfectly viable solution.

it certainly does not do a better job than MH or T5. It has a (much) greater cost, so while it is a newer technology, it is not a better technology for a reef aquarium.

If you have PAR readings that prove LEDs output is significantly lower, post them up. However, even if you do, one criteria is hardly enough to judge "better" or "worse". If you don't think LEDs are a good solution for you, that's fine, but don't discount the promise they offer, nor the success they have already achieved on reef tanks.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Absolutely not true. View all the custom builds here. You can see the results of reef tanks, some with anemones and SPSs, all running with LEDs. If you have PAR readings or other comparisons to use as evidence, then please speak up... I seem to think that keeping some of the most light demanding aquatic creatures under LEDs means they're a perfectly viable solution.

If you have PAR readings that prove LEDs output is significantly lower, post them up. However, even if you do, one criteria is hardly enough to judge "better" or "worse". If you don't think LEDs are a good solution for you, that's fine, but don't discount the promise they offer, nor the success they have already achieved on reef tanks.

I checked the link out and that is for nano tanks. There is a world of difference between a nano and a full size tank - even T5s struggle once you get past 20" in depth. You can light a nano reef completely under PC. That's an entirely different world.

I am not judging based on one criteria, but several. Coverage, they tend to light straight down and there is a huge falloff of par once you get out from directly under them, which is a real problem on tanks 18-24" wide, even the PFO fixtures needed additional lighting for wider tanks; intensity is another factor as you say, the patent issue, and cost.

They do show promise, but I have seen other technologies come along in the hobby that show promise (halogen, mercury vapor) that never live up to their potential.

If you like PAR readings, let us see yours? You never see PAR readings and technical information out of LED manufacturers or owners, which makes me skeptical.

But the gist of what I say stands - if lighting a tank with LED costs 3-5x what a T5 or MH solution does without significantly better performance, its not a better solution.

Honestly, I would love to be nuts about LEDs too, I am no fan of the power company, and live in a hot state, but I just don't see the products after many years

PootyTang

Well to be honest, I wouldn't be considering these LEDs if I didn't have evidence of my own suggesting it was worth it, I'm not about to let a 125 gallon system die because I wanted the newest technology.
We have only one, very small, LFS in my town and the owner and 2 (very experienced) employees are the only ones working there. While the owner does not have a home tank, both his employees are running 180 systems with SPS and anemones using the old Solaris system. Given that they're out of business now, they're having a hard time if they need repairs, but, to me, regardless of what PAR readings you come up with or how they compare to MH or T5, I'm going to go with what works in a tank and these seem to do the trick.
I'm not really looking to do the DIY thing just yet, but in terms of cost effectiveness, its surprising how things change once you guys cross north of the border. In Canada, most companies charge quite a bit more (just look at the difference between bigalsonline.ca and bigalsonline.com, for a 6' combo hood, its $500 more here, WAY beyong what you would pay in duties and exchange rate), so when I'm looking at spending somewhere between $2000-4000 on LEDs (depending on the size and type I get) vs. $1600 on MH, factor in that I've got a hood over my tank and would thus need a very expensive chiller and the power cost and I'm more than happy to invest in the LEDs, I would just prefer to wait until a company has established themselves so that I know I can depend on them to get the kinks out.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I live in Arkansas, which is way hotter, with a hood over my tank, and my chiller seldom runs. I cool my tank with a fan in the canopy. If I lived in Canada I would not need one. I lived on the border and didn't

If you have a hood, but some retros. The cost comes way down for those.

chipmunkofdoom2

I checked the link out and that is for nano tanks. There is a world of difference between a nano and a full size tank - even T5s struggle once you get past 20" in depth. You can light a nano reef completely under PC. That's an entirely different world.

When have you ever seen SPS and anemones kept under PC lighting? Never in the smallest of nanos have I seen this.

I suppose you glossed over the 75g build, the 60g build, and the 125 gallon build? I wouldn't qualify those as nanos...

Also Are you familiar with optics? They're focusing lenses made for LEDs. They concentrate the light output of the LEDs. Optics double the spread of the LEDs at half intensity. This is for lenses that spread light, but if you get narrow optics, ones narrower than the LEDs default spread, you get more concentrated light in a smaller area. So really, you can get narrow optics that will focus lighting down as deep as you want, theoretically... you will just need more LEDs for coverage. It gets cost prohibitive, but I never said that it didn't.

I am not judging based on one criteria, but several. Coverage, they tend to light straight down and there is a huge falloff of par once you get out from directly under them, which is a real problem on tanks 18-24" wide, even the PFO fixtures needed additional lighting for wider tanks; intensity is another factor as you say, the patent issue, and cost.

That's like saying MH isn't viable because it only lights up one spot... yeah, it does, so if you need more coverage, you add another pendant or get a fixture with better coverage.

No, there's no problem on wider tanks.. when you're making the fixture yourself, you can place as many LEDs in as many places as you need. That's one of the good things about DIY fixtures. With ones like the PFO you did need extra lighting, but in case you haven't noticed, they're out of business... if their design was that stellar, they would still be in business.

They do show promise, but I have seen other technologies come along in the hobby that show promise (halogen, mercury vapor) that never live up to their potential.

That's true. Only time will tell whether the benefits are proportionate to the extra cost... but for now, you cannot deny that at the very least they work and sustain corals and other inverts.

If you like PAR readings, let us see yours? You never see PAR readings and technical information out of LED manufacturers or owners, which makes me skeptical.

Are you familiar with how expensive PAR meters are? Terribly expensive.. I think low end models go for around $300. Most people who build LED fixtures, I conjecture, don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars extra to prove to the world what they already know themselves.

Let's say you just bought a brand new, 3x 400W MH fixture with T5HOs for actinic. It runs great and all your corals are happy and thriving... if this was the case, would you run out and buy a PAR meter so you could prove to the world that your fixture produced a certain PAR level? I would guess not... if there's nothing wrong with your corals, they're fine and growing, there's no need to quantify the light output. The same is true with LEDs.

I don't have PAR readings, but I don't really want or need them... I know after doing hundreds of hours of research that LEDs can support the most light demanding inverts we'd ever want to keep, and that's all I really need to know. If anyone reading this thread takes a peek at the previously liked thread to custom LED builds, they can learn in minutes that this is true.

Here is a picture of one build over a Biocube 14, with 11 LEDs (6 blues, 5 whites):

35jzg9i.jpg

11 LEDs is a small amount for a tank that size and the creator didn't use optics. This is an example of what an average or middle of the road LED fixtures put out.

But the gist of what I say stands - if lighting a tank with LED costs 3-5x what a T5 or MH solution does without significantly better performance, its not a better solution.

Agreed, which is why I don't have one yet. But just because a solution doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work at all. The reason I don't have one yet is because of the price.. that doesn't mean that LEDs don't work.

Honestly, I would love to be nuts about LEDs too, I am no fan of the power company, and live in a hot state, but I just don't see the products after many years

I'm not trying to cram LEDs down your throat... you've already made it abundantly clear you don't like them, and I don't blame you.

If your argument is they're too expensive, then I agree. If your argument is the technology is too new to jump on-board, then I agree. If you argue that other solutions are better for you because of various circumstantial reasons, then I agree, LEDs are not for you... but I will not let you say they don't work when there are plenty of examples of them working.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
If you read Dana Riddle's review of the Solaris LED, the PAR falls off sharply with the Solaris lenses as you move away from the lamp. For wide tanks, this becomes more of a factor. The 65 and 75 tanks in your LED thread are not wide. A 24" inch wide tank would need additional lighting to provide additional coverage with a Solaris array is all.

Here is a picture of PAR from my 4x54w T5 light, which is pretty low end, on my 90

PAR.jpg

300 PAR at the top of the sand is not much; but this is a $400 fixture.

For the cost, I would expect LED to outperform a 4 bulb T5 system is all I am saying. They show great promise, but the bang for the buck is not there.

If they would perform as well as the other systems, I would switch over even at the present cost. I had a PFO system, and was very underwhelmed with its performance and the results I saw. A TEK 6 bulb system replaced it and gave much more light. I am not anti-LED, just think they don't perform as well yet.