LED lighting for a 36in long 30 gallon tank

DaddyTLi

I would say that you wouldn't be going wrong with the Kessils. but they are only about 50w each. Contrast this to the Eco Tech Radion XR30w or AI Hydra 52. Both of these fixtures are about 150w each. ...
Does wattage means better "coverage"? Kessil uses a different tech. Their AP700 (185 watts) boast on 48" tank coverage with good outcome because of "dense matrix led". I'm still debating which to buy; AP700 185 watts, Maxspect Razor 320 watts and soon to come Steve's LED panel (specs unknown).

Tom

DaveK

Does wattage means better "coverage"? ...

In my opinion, no. What a higher wattage does mean is that you can mount the fixture higher, and get it to cover somewhat more area. Higher wattage also means more light directly under the fixture, so you can keep high light corals.

As for the Kessil AP700, manufacturers tend to be very "optimistic" when it comes to the specs of the lighting. I think putting it on a 48" long tank would be asking a lot of the fixture, and that you'd tend to get dark corners. I should point out that many people might be very happy with this. That would bother me, and I'd tend to want three of their more conventional fixtures.

If you look at the spread of light from an LED fixture, it tends to beam straight down. This tends to limit the length they will span. Of course fixturers that have multiple clusters of LED can span a bit more,