LED fixture - Opinions please

jcgardner

Hello everyone, I found this LED fixture while I was looking for some stuff on Dr F&S website. Looks very cool, but what does everyone think of it? These are connectable powerstrips, but given the cost of the actual unit they are selling it would be cheaper to buy the units individually. I don't know much about LED's so I figured I'd ask.

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Stunner LED Strip

Thanks,
Charise

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Charise what are you wanting to DO with these? If just for "Accent" and such then they look pretty cool. If you're wanting to try and create a Reef Light with them then they wont work.

jcgardner

I would probably just use them as accent lighting to my t-5's. I asked because the website shows it as a complete lighting system with like 6 of them attached at a price of $600.00 + I didn't think it would be enough lighting as a stand alone unit, but figured I'd ask since I don't know much about LED's. Thanks Allen for answering.

chipmunkofdoom2

They would not work for your main lighting.

They claim their strips are 6w a piece... the LEDs I'm using in Al's retro are 3 watts a PIECE. Those strips seem to just use the standard LED you'd find in your TV remote or Xbox controller.

From the "More Information Tab":

Q. Will the Stunner grow hard coral or SPS coral?
A. Depending on configuration and the number of Stunners used, the Stunner can support a wide variety of animal life. However, we recommend using the Stunner LED for accenting the colors of coral and using it to supplement other lights.