Learn me up

RyanG

Im really interesting in keeping a Bluespot Jawfish in my new 180 but I have no clue as to what they need. Or for that matter what can be kept with them. So learn me up! How deep of a sand bed do they need? Will they be ok in a high flow system?

Yes I did read the sticky thread!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Im really interesting in keeping a Bluespot Jawfish in my new 180 but I have no clue as to what they need. Or for that matter what can be kept with them. So learn me up! How deep of a sand bed do they need? Will they be ok in a high flow system?

Ryan, that's great that you are considering one of these comical, personality filled fish. If you go to the first page of the Blue Spot Club thread there are several links that will answer many of your questions.

RyanG

OK I read it and still want one, ithink. From those readings they seem like they can be very difficult to keep and I will have to give up my plans for an Imperator Angel and a large Tang, is this correct?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It's really a matter of size! The bigger the tank, the more success you'll have housing a BS with other species. I have a 90 gallon with a Hippo and Sailfin with my BSJF and he holds his own. If you give tangs and angels enough room to swim, they will leave the bottom dwellers alone.

Of course I wouldn't recommend putting in fish that could be potential predators of the BS, but I don't think tangs fall into that category.

RyanG

Do you guys think that I would have success in a 180(235 total system) high flow sps reef with a Bluespot or possibly a pair?

What is the minimum depth sand bed that I could have and have a HAPPY BSJF

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That's great JoJo, we have a great support network here!
There popularity is growing, but they were not always like that.