Large bristle worm

Warren

Just started my tank picked up 13kg of live rock curd but have found a 4 inch bristle worm do i keep it in my tank or remove it ?

Warren

DaveK

I prefer to remove the larger ones, but it will not hurt anything to leave it alone.

BTW, 4" is still on the "small" side. I once removed one over two feet long from my reef.

Angel Fin

To my understanding, bristle worms are undesirable. I have not had issue with them as I have a Six Line Wrasse, who I expect is handling them.
Also they can inflict you with their bristles, ... I saw a pic of an infected finger with the bristles sticking out of it on this site recently!! Not pretty!!

proenca

Bristle worms are scavengers.

Very few are coral predators ,some eat sponges but generally they are quite usefull : eat leftovers from fish food, they eat any animal that is decaying, they turn on the substrate, etc etc..

People usually remove them because they dont know which ones they have. Your milage may vary.

Good visual guide here : Worm Hitch Hikers

I usually leave them unless I start have misterious fish disapearing or corals that seem "irritated" with no apparent reason.

The problem is, if you want to take them out, its a PITA to do it in an established tank.

lcstorc

Good little cleaners.
I wish my six line and red-corris hadn't eaten all of mine.
They are yet another reason to wear gloves when you are working on the tank.

Warren

Thanks all
The page on worms / hitchhikers was very useful identified as Eurythoe Complanata my mate told it was bad so i removed him next time i will wait for a reply in here before i remove anything, feel bad for the little fella now.

proenca

Lynn is right though... beware of fireworms : got stung once and hurt like hell : gazzilions ( yes I know, doesnt exist but if you are stupid enough like me to try get a fire worm with bare hands you earn the right of making words like these ) of tiny "spears" ( nematocysts actually ) are fired to your hand and the thing hurts like no tomorrow and get swollen, you want to scratch it, you can't.. yadadad.

Since then when taking Live Rock or Live Sand, I always wear gloves.

Just in case. I still remember the pain :)

proenca

normal kitchen gloves are ok, just BEWARE of : the powered that they have inside ( wash them ) and some oil ( to nurture hands ) in some cases.

best thing that I use is thick medical non powdered gloves. ok, I cheat, wife is a doctor :)

nightfire76

turn and culf lol
normal kitchen gloves are ok, just BEWARE of : the powered that they have inside ( wash them ) and some oil ( to nurture hands ) in some cases.

best thing that I use is thick medical non powdered gloves. ok, I cheat, wife is a doctor :)