La Da Dee .... Laaa Daaaahhhhh

DBrinson

Indoor_Sunburn.jpg

I didn't believe in UFO's. (Even though I live near Gulf Breeze, FL)

But today at the lighting of my first "open top" aquarium ever ... the residents of my house fled into the broad daylight ... in Florida ... on a clear day ... at noon ....

Because it was too bright indoors.

Any ideas on how I should shield the lights above the tank? They have UV shielding, but I'm getting a sunburn on the side of my face as I write this.

Please post your ideas. I will be right back ... there's some shape calling to me from my mashed potatos.

DaveK

Are you feeling the UV or IR (infrared) light?

UV is what burns but you usually don't feel that too much, at least not until you feel the sunburn. IR is heat. You'll feel that right away.

It is possible that the UV glass on the fixture is not blocking as well as it should be. It is also possible that the glass, while it blocks UV doesn't block IR.

You can get Robax Glass, which is actually a clear ceramic, and blocks UV and IR, but it's extremely expensive. See it here (offsite) - SCHOTT Applied Energy Systems and here Replacement Glass for your Stove or Fireplace

DBrinson

Giesemann light fixtures have UV glass that is compliant with even European standards, no worries there. I wouldn't filter the UV any more aggressively than they do, would short the corals.

Everyone wore sunglasses indoors for most of the day however.

Some of us had headaches, kept seeing "blotches" ... it's only natural to turn and look at a source of unusual light in a room. (I felt a lot like my avatar ... )

Good point btw DaveK, no IR protection in the glass that I can find in the literature. The heat is "feelable" all over the room lol. I am beginning to think open top tanks aren't meant to be mounted this high.

I'm experimenting with different drapes right now, will keep you all updated on the extraterrestrial threat.

Val

My family used to request sunglasses in my living room, now it's just the occasional guest. It's amazing what the body can adapt to. :)

steved13

PREMIUM
LOL...It took me almost a full day to "get" this thread title. Even with your "hint"

I like the canopy idea also. If it comes out as nice as the rest it will make it look even better.

DBrinson

Looks like I'm hanging curtains from the ceiling so I can draw them during the MH cycle.

Excellent perspective Val, hadn't thought about "acclimating" the fam to the lights. Maybe I'll start them on a 1 hour "curtainless" photocycle and break them in gradually. If anyone starts breathing heavy I could always quarantine them.

We're all wearing sunglasses indoors anyways. My boys think it's kind of cool, (except the one who can't find his). :shades:

Jules and Scotsdale, I thought about that, but I'll use it as a last resort. I really wanted to join the "open top" club this goaround. Also bought the fixture in part for its appearance, not ready to write that off yet.

Thanks for the tips!

BLAKEJOHN

I would either move the light downsome or build a hanging canopy to help redirect some of the light spill. Wth the hanging canopy you can still have the open top, just wont see the fixture.

DBrinson

Thanks everyone who offered advice, I am going to go with a curtain hanging from the roof, in the style you often see in hospitals. (IFC 98)

I designed the curtain over the tank and wall in mind, here is the schematic, every square = 1 inch.

Curtain_Track_Schematic.jpg

I may lower the light 2 inches as well, the manufacturer of the acrylic tank recommended 10 inches but may cave to 8".

I'll have to reposition one of my Sea Swirls to the back of the tank in order to do that, was hoping for some current blasting from the front side, but can make do without.

vubben

Tank looks great! If you change your mind on the curtains, how bout something like Diva Light barn doors...

ON SET from Kaye Lites

I was going to suggest that you could actually buy the diva doors but being they are mounted on fluorescent lights they are made of corrugated plastic and would melt before you got them a foot from your lights! But I thought you might easily make some from sheet metal and hinge them to your fixture. Just a thought.

BLAKEJOHN

I think the curtain would be a nice look. Easy to move out of the way too. Along with the curtain I would employ some type of barn door or the like to redirect that spill light and use it.

I tend to think of my light as gold and try not to waste any of it.. lol