Kyles blood, sweet and TEARS!!! :)

kyle4201

20130710_230031_zps13edf69d.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Here's the thing Kyle....

Your good bacteria lives amongst the LR (as well as the substrate) but let's just stick with the LR issue for now. Without enough LR in the tank, you limit the amount of real estate in which to live. Without enough bacteria partying in the tank, the TOUGHER it will be to keep the tank healthy. Here is a simple way to look at it. You have a 90g tank with a filter rated for a 10g tank by not providing enough LR to allow the proper amount of bacteria to colonize the tank.
Bacteria IS your filter in a SW tank. :nekid: :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
One more note:) You don't need to spend top dollar on cultured LR. You can buy dry/dead rock at a fraction of the cost and it will become LR by just being in the tank. Also Craigs List is a good spot to check often. There is always someone selling LR from one week to the next at a discount because they are getting out.

kyle4201

Thing 1 (might b thing 2, not sure, the GF can tell them apart) came out to see what all the pictures wer about
20130710_230722_zpsa44d5fba.jpg

And Bullwinkle was playing on my blue Ridge coral.
20130710_230738_zpsffa2cb8c.jpg

kyle4201

I was hoping to avoid this by filling my return section in my refugium with the bio ball that came with the old filter system. I also filled my overflow with them to keep the water crashing noise down. Is this not a good idea?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Some use Bio-Balls others don't. IMO, bio balls have no place in a reef tank.

They can become nitrate factories by allowing debris to collect. The cleaner the tank the happier the hobbiest.

kyle4201

I was worried. Different people tell me different things. The balls in my fuge r getting nasty. Im installing my diy fuge this weekend. Balls r going by by. Keeping the 1s in the overflow. They r clean & keep thr noise down. My tank is fish free 4 a month to rid the ich so im leery about getting LR from someone or my fish store.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I was worried. Different people tell me different things. The balls in my fuge r getting nasty. Im installing my diy fuge this weekend. Balls r going by by. Keeping the 1s in the overflow. They r clean & keep thr noise down. My tank is fish free 4 a month to rid the ich so im leery about getting LR from someone or my fish store.

I personally boil any LR that I get to eliminate any nasties like aptasia. Bulkreefsupply.com sells dry rock at a fraction of what it costs to buy all cultured LR. That's how I stocked my tanks.

kyle4201

good advice. I boiled my fuge rock, the person I got it from had bristle worms and I wanted to kill them all!!!! all the other rock (same person, its who I got the tank from) I soaked in bleach water for 2 days, sun for a day, then a power washing, then sun again 4 a day.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Wow. See, if I had tried to do something like that, it would have been disatrous. Gratz!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Did you remove all the bio balls? They contain a lot of good bacteria so they recommended "pulling out" 1/3rd at a time

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Just keep an eye on your parameters..... You should be ok but I just wanted to point that out

kyle4201

Thanks. I took the time to leave room in my return part of the fuge and also made sure the water slit was just small enough to not let the balls through. Maybe i will put some back in tonight. just for likr the 1st month or so.?.