Krazy Glue??

SunnyX

Is Krazy Glue useable fro my reef? I wanted to glue some frags down onto some plugs. Is it toxic to my tank?
I thought I heard somewhere before that you can use it in a reef.

EdgeKrusher

Yeah it's fine, get the stuff from Home Depot or Lowes, and make sure it's the gel kind otherwise it wont work. I've used it for alot of small frags, it works well. HTH

EK

SunnyX

I have the Instant Krazy Glue. I was thinking of mixing it with some sand to make it bond better with the frags.

BoomerD

You betcha! You CAN go to some ot the coral sellers and buy their "special Coral frag glue" which is just gel-type of super glue in a fancy wrapper. :D Like Edge says, Home Depot or wherever will have the stuff you need. It is strange to see it used so much nowdays. When I was in the hobby nearly 20 years ago, the attitude was "Cyanoacrylate? made from cyanide...poisonous to your tank. Don't use it!" Now, it's used for frags and repairs all the time.

OOps Sunny, you posted while I was typing...I don't think that mixing sand with the watery stuff will accomplish much. Just go get the gel, and you'll have much better luck.

EdgeKrusher

I've used that before but the gel kind, and I didn't like how it bonded. It would bond the peices of rock together until I put it back in the water and the bond broke... can't explain it. I waited 30 seconds, double the amount of time it says on the pakage to let the two peices bond. But the stuff from Home Depot was amazing. I can use it underwater and it makes a very tight bond. I would stick with a gel though, otherwise it might spread allover in the tank.

caja

I've found that the gel crazy glue just isn't thick enough. I use the Loctite brand of gel cyanoacrylate. Kmart and Walmart both carry it. It's got a much thicker consistency. I just wish it came in a bigger bottle.

There's a bunch of kinds of cyanoacrylate gel.

Loctite is my favorite around here ... though I hear people raving about `Zap Gel' as being even easier to work with.

`Coral Glue' reminds me of too many things in the hobby ... repackaged glue that costs too much [opinion!].

-- Used non-gel superglue once ... to nearly disastrous results. So runny ... when I thought it was somewhat dried I put the frag back in ... and inverting it caused glue to run over about 3/4 of the acro frag ... which only quick reflexes allowed me to peel off the superglue that instant and only harm part of the frag.
Doing ok now ... but that was a quick lesson in `gel only' :)