Justin’s 28 gallon JBJ LED Nano Cube

Brian Bazemore

Re: First shot of the Nano with clear water

Justin quick question .. How did you use the stock filter basket that came with your cube? With the Tunze skimmer in the middle chamber it doesn't leave room for any kind of other media/live rock filtration. Are you running anything else or does the Tunze 9002 do enough for you?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Brain - if you don't get a reply ^ it's because this was a 2012 post

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

corrado007

Justin quick question .. How did you use the stock filter basket that came with your cube? With the Tunze skimmer in the middle chamber it doesn't leave room for any kind of other media/live rock filtration. Are you running anything else or does the Tunze 9002 do enough for you?

Hi Brian,
I don't have the stock filter basket in there, I tossed it in the garage. I've found that with the live rock, live sand, and clean up crew in the display area and the skimmer, the tank is doing is doing quite well. I haven't found a need for any media in it. As long as you keep a reasonable bio load and don't over-do the inhabitants and don't over feed, things are pretty easy to keep in line. I have seriously neglected the tank over the past few months since my son was born but it's still doing fairly well. Nothing a few water changes won't get back in shape.

Brian Bazemore

Justin I am trying to mirror your setup but I'm getting micro bubble from the skimmer.... Did you have this problem? And if so how did you correct? I also noticed an airline running from your skimmer can you explain what you did there and why? Thanks again for all the advice this is my first Nano so I'm learning on the fly with the aio tank.

corrado007

It's been a little over 3 years since I did it, but as I remember, the skimmer came with an adjustment on the body of the skimmer. I tightened down the blue adjustment knob so it was closed and attached a new air line from the pump and ran it to the outside and put a adjustable air line valve on that instead. If I remember right, I found a link to someone else who had done something similar to allow for easier and more accurate adjustment with the external valve. Also, the end of the air line can be aimed down and away from you so it's nice and quiet.
I do not remember having a problem with micro bubbles. I wonder if the skimmer just needs to break in or if there is some other issue. I do get a few bubbles in my display. You might be able to put a small mesh or sponge/filter somewhere in the chambers between the skimmer and the return pumps but that seems like it could be a pain and might create a breeding ground for some bad stuff. Not sure, just thinking "out loud".
I wish I remembered a bit more detail on this to help you but I hope this helped a bit. Good luck and have fun!