Just put my first lot of live rock in!

crass

Hi all

I have picked my first 10kgs of cured LR from my LFS and an so happy. Its Fiji rock and has lovely colour on it. I put it in the tank last night and while having a good look at it today I noticed I have 2 nice hitch hikers 1 blue legged hermit, 1 Astraea snail and a soft coral (I will post a pic of coral).

There also seems to be what I can only explain as oval white spots on on of the rocks, its looks like pearl barley....lol....cant seem to get a closeup of it unlessi take it out the tank. Any ideas on the ID of these guys!

thanks in advance

photos to follow

GrendelPrime

not sure about the pearl but i cant wait to see some pics of ur new rock..always exciting getting in a new batch of rock then trying to find the perfect spots for them :thumber:

1Reefer

Congrats! I love getting new rock and rollin it around till I'm happy... can't wait to see what you come up with!

1Reefer

The HH coral looks to be a Paly or Button Polyp just not open atm... good deal! Freebies are always nice!

I used cured rock as well and was kind of wondering what an acceptable ammonia "high" would be... so I will share my test results with you for comparison... ammonia maxed at 1.0, trite maxed .05 and trate has yet to max or even exeed 10 ppm.... I still have Amm. Trite. and Trate, so my cycle isn't over yet (as of lastnight)... did you add anything to "help" or "strengthen" the cycle? Or just use the LR?

1Reefer

Looks like some sort of small ball sponge? That would be my best guess... params sound good to me, still cycling but it'll get better. I have yet to test today.... I hope my Amm. Is gone!

crass

Thanks Eric

there seems to be conflicting reports on the stuff!

some say its good some say it takes over the tank!

Some ppl use it in thier sumps to keep TRATES in check! and if its in the DT a foxface keeps it in check!....wonder if a tang would do the same thing?

should I remove it or just wait to see if it becomes a problem?

Dean

GrendelPrime

if it was my tank ide remove it..why wait till ur over grown with it and have to spend time and money to remove it when u can head it off at the pass..if u have a sump throw it down there with a light on it

crass

Hi all again!

My cycle has finished and today I introduced 2 perc. clowns. So needles to say its amazing having some life in the tank!

Now I was wondering since I have changed to a new tank that is larger I need to add more LR. Can I instead use dead rock or coral skeletons in the sump to make up for this shortfall (obviously wont put in anything with die off). Or should I add more cured LR small bits at a time?

thanks in advance

Dean