Just getting started 40B or 55G?

Jvo

Hey guys I am just getting started with Saltwater, so far I have a 10 Gallon Aquarium with a single Bicolor Blenny, Skunk Shrimp and about 5 small crabs. I love it, but it's too small and I have seen many many interesting saltwater fish.

Recently I saw Petco is doing there $1 per gallon sale. Meaning a 40B tank is only $40 and the 55G is $55. Space wise the 40B would fit my room better and I was recommended by my local petshop (not petco) to get the 40B.

What I want out of the Tank:
Live Rock/Coral
Sleeper Goby or Watchman Goby
Flame Angelfish

I am already aware that the Flame Angelfish can terrorize your Coral, the one at the petshop seems to be leaving the coral alone there so I was considering giving this one a shot. I have read the 40B is a bit small for the Flame Angelfish and you should have a 55G minimum but the local pet shop told me the 40B would be perfect for it.

Just hoping to get your thoughts on which tank I should get and what other fish would go well with it. Plus any advice anyone with more experience is willing to give. Thanks!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics

Sure some members can advise on the tank size... lots of members have 40 gallon tanks

silver97

I took advantage of that sale when they had it back in June, and I bought the 40B. Very good deal for a good sized tank. I started out slowly and only have a clown and a bicolor blenny(coincidence?) but i think it can hold at the most 3 more fish comfortably.
Live rock wise I fit around 30-35 pounds in, I dont really have an amazing rockscape, I was able to fit 2 islands in effectively. If I could redo it I would probably go for the wall technique.
Goby's would be good for this size tank as they don't get very big (that I'm aware of), but with your blenny I would be cautious. Apparently with some fish that are different species but have the same body shape you can have some aggression. Although I think the bicolor blenny seems like the friendliest little pal to my clown, I might be a little more unsure to add a goby in. But if you had adequate space for each of them to set up their own 'territory' I am sure they would leave each other alone, or maybe they will become best friends! I've heard it go both ways, see what others on here say about that.
Coral wise, I fit zoas, shrooms, a gorgonian and some GSP into my tank and still have plenty of room to add more. Again it depends on your lighting and rockwork to determine what you can and can't put in your tank.
On the flame angel, I am not sure. I want one too, but I wouldn't want to take the small risk of losing the few corals I have. And with swimming room it might be better to just not get it if you go with the 40B, but with the 55 gal you would be set. That's probably the main reason I haven't gotten one, size.
As for other fish that would go well in this tank, there are chromis, clowns, damsels, basically any fish that won't get (much) bigger than 4 inches.

Jvo

Thanks for the quick response. I am not entirely sure if I would be moving the Bicolor Blenny, it may stay in the 10 Gallon in my Bedroom. I read the same thing as you when it comes to fish with similar body types sometimes being aggressive.

My thoughts with the Flame Angelfish were if I got that and the Sleeper Goby I would probably get 2 Nano Clowns and call it good.

I was also considering cutting the Flame Angelfish out of the picture and getting about 5-6 total fish including the Sleeper Goby (Or possibly Diamond Watchman). It sounds more and more like this is the best option.

Pat24601

I really think you'd be good either way. Bigger is usually better, but only if it doesn't take over your room. So, if the 40B fits in your room better that might be the answer.

Liveaquaria says minimum 70 gallons on the flame Angel. As we all know, those size recommendations can depend, though, so I don't know how strict to take it. They are great fish

Reactions: Jvo

Jvo

I really think you'd be good either way. Bigger is usually better, but only if it doesn't take over your room. So, if the 40B fits in your room better that might be the answer.

Liveaquaria says minimum 70 gallons on the flame Angel. As we all know, those size recommendations can depend, though, so I don't know how strict to take it. They are great fish

The Tanks at the Petshop that they are in are definitely smaller then a 40B right now, but they can probably get away with it because they sell the fish before it gets too large.

Pat24601

The Tanks at the Petshop that they are in are definitely smaller then a 40B right now, but they can probably get away with it because they sell the fish before it gets too large.

Yes, I should be clear I know nothing. I just looked it up on Liveaquaria. it may be jus fine in a 40B. Hard to know where those limits come from.

Reactions: Jvo

silver97

If you do go with the 40B and the flame angel, goby and clowns that would probably be the most fish you can fit in the tank comfortably. Even then the angel might be a little crowded, but he could adjust (maybe).
The pet shops keep them in smaller tanks, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can stay in slightly larger ones. For instance, contrary to what @Pat24601 said, somewhere I read they could be fine in a 55 gal. You have to consider it's current size also, because it will take you a while to set up your tank, and granted the exact same flame angel will be in the same store in 2 months(which it probably won't be) it will have grown a bit. Different factors cause different rates of growth, so you might have one that grows to a large size and might not be good in your tank, and you might get one that stays relatively smaller, so it may be good. And if it isn't the same one in 2 months, it might behave entirely different from the one currently there and be the bane of all corals. You never know

Jvo

Yea I have also found largely varying numbers with several different fish. So depending on the breeder you get it from I imagine it could vary quite a bit. I spent a lot of time looking at Sleeper Gobies and their max size varies from source to source from 4.5 inches to 7 inches.

Jvo

Anyone have recommendation on what light to get for the 40B? The tank is 36in W.

The pet shop only has a few lids for it and they all are built for Strip Lights.

Chase

I too recently bought the 40B from them at the 1 a gal sale. got the versa hood glass top on sale for another $35. That fact that it's deeper width allowed for rock work and plenty of front room for the fish. I then purchased the EDGE led strip light. It's an awesome light with ramp timer. Amazon for $127.00. As for fish, I think you'll be fine. I have 2 clowns, 2 firefishj gobies, 2 cardinals, and a 3 stripe damsel. they have plenty of space and none have become territorial. GOOD LUCK 20150929_201741.jpg

Chase

Wow your Coral looks awesome!!! Thanks for the Light suggestion, I like Amazon for a lot of my purchases since I have Prime.
It's an awesome light for the $$. Check it out! 3 different light settings with up to 2 hours of ramp time for each. goes from sunrise to sunset. Love it

Pat24601

I too recently bought the 40B from them at the 1 a gal sale. got the versa hood glass top on sale for another $35. That fact that it's deeper width allowed for rock work and plenty of front room for the fish. I then purchased the EDGE led strip light. It's an awesome light with ramp timer. Amazon for $127.00. As for fish, I think you'll be fine. I have 2 clowns, 2 firefishj gobies, 2 cardinals, and a 3 stripe damsel. they have plenty of space and none have become territorial. GOOD LUCK View attachment 44165

Great pic!

Jvo

I picked up my 40B today and a clear top for it. Thanks to the Petco sale plus a $15 off $75 or more coupon I got both for $60. Thanks to everyone who posted here, you all have helped me greatly in making a decision. Next step Filter, Heater and Light (Chase has pretty much sold me on the Edge LED).

Dracko

Filtration depends a lot on what you intend to do with it. I have a 55g and like that setup because it gives me room to play with the rock for a nicer look, but that too depends on the rock you get. Because your tank is more narrow and taller I would suggest you get something like Marcos rock, very porous, lots of holes. You will want a heater right away also. With just that you can start your cycle. With the smaller tank like this I went with filtration first, then switched over to just an in tank protein skimmer. I believe this was a mistake!!!! Doing it again, after cycle a great clean up crew and protein skimmer. Others may disagree, but I think this way caused more problems than it solved. I would also ask about your water system. Do you have RO/DI? If not, I would say get it now. (e-bay has some great ones at a good price.)

Jvo

Right now I don't have R/O I am going to get my initial fillup from my LPS. It is something like $35 for 40 gallons of saltwater. Going forward I intend to get one though. Whats the deal with the protein skimmers? I haven't heard much about them.