jumbo raw shrimp to cycle

onix

Sorry what is a jumbo raw shrimp. I read some people use it to cycle the tank. Tha raw shimps are those sell frozen in sepermarket? Right now I am using Stress Zime to cycled the tank

DrHank

Some folks do use raw shrimp (from the supermarket) to cycle the tank in. Since your tank has 0 ammonia and nitrite it is either brand new or has completed the cycle. I'll assume brand new. If that's the case then your nitrate is from your water supply. This will present a problem if you are going to be setting up a reef but not as much if you're going FOWLR. Unfortunately both Nitrate and Phosphate are food sources for hair algae. Hair Algae is pretty much the scourge of the reef tank.

If you are planning a reef tank my suggestion would be to get a RO/DI filter as soon as possible. This will help to eliminate nitrates, phosphates and other undesirable compounds from your water. Weekly water changes of about 20% (after the tank has cycled) and care to avoid overfeeding will also help.

Just a few initial thoughts. You will also want to read all you can about the common problems encountered in order to avoid as many pitfalls as possible. Good luck!:)

lcstorc

Judt a shrimp from the grocery store. You might want to put it in a mesh bag to make removal easier.

onix

Onix, is this a new tank or the one you have had up and running for the past few months?

Is a new tank. It have 4" of DSB a refugium with cheato, ~ 70 pound of Rock, I am using the acua c remora pro skimmer

the tank is 2 month old and only add reef buider and liquid bacteria.

I only want to know if using frozem shrimp is better than liquid bacterial

I am not new in the hobby but in the past I had a lot of problem with alga ( al kind) and decide to star from 0

lcstorc

Well really they are 2 different things. The raw shrimp is added as food for the bacteria in the live rock to get it up and started processing amonia and the rest of the cycle. The bottled bacteria would be to boost the amount of bacteria in the system. Actually you could do both to increase the amount of bacteria as well as feeding it amonia from the rotting shrimp.