Julie's (BigAl's Gal) 6g NanoCube

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok here's the beginning of Julie's tank Chronicle! It's gonna be a softie (shroom/Zoa only) tank.

Here it was last night.. (the BOX)
IMG_3926.jpg

Rock Pre-Scaping
IMG_3930.jpg

Pre-Scaping
IMG_3933.jpg

Pre-Scaping
IMG_3943.jpg

Pic of how we used Nylon bolts (heads removed) as Rock "Pegs"
IMG_3944.jpg

Dry Run of the rock-scaping **Check out the REEF BALL**
http://i217.pho
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/6g%20Nano/IMG_3947.jpg

Water going IN (Live Sand in there) **Check out the REEF BALL**
IMG_3954.jpg

Loaded and ready to CYCLE **Check out the REEF BALL**
http://i217.pho
[IMG]http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc265/BigAl07_01/6g%20Nano/IMG_3962.jpg

panmanmatt

Looking good. I like the rock structure, and the ball looks good too.

When you are ready for some corals let me know. I'm sure I could put some frags together for her.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Where'd you get the reef ball? Looks familiar... is it that company that does ocean reef structures?

I think Julie is "sleeping" with someone who is able to order and ship them.... (Points to Me).

Huh? are you serious? Look in my signature or go to
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/25454-reef-balls-reef-cakes.html

It's the same company from Dirty Jobs and they make and ship them ALL over the world. I have them making them for the Home Aquarium as "models". We're going to grow one with some INSANE Zoas and one with GSP's for show. If you want one PM me and I'll hook you up.

:)

dobejazz

Does she plan on stocking it like the picture on the box?? :away:

Just kidding Congrats Julie ! I like the aquascaping

BarbMazz

Hey AL how come there's no mention of a REEF BALL in there?!? :snshne: :drool: You're not crazy about them or anything are you?! LOL

Looks really good! I like the 'scape job a lot.

kathywithbirds

OH!!! Yes, BTW, I am actually drugged... awaiting surgery. I have an excuse :lol: (this time...)

Thanks for the offer... I might go for it, but not now, tank is not doing well and I got a lot on the burner.

You know, now I think about it, I think I remember seeing that sig and was kinda afraid to ask about "reef balls" ...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Does she plan on stocking it like the picture on the box?? :away:
Just kidding Congrats Julie ! I like the aquascaping
That box cover is her inspiration! That's EXACTLY what she wants :lol: J/k to... she wants strickly some bright Zoas and shrooms. If the light will support it I might get a shroom in there for her. She did the scaping ALL on her own design. I'm SO proud of her :)

Hey AL how come there's no mention of a REEF BALL in there?!? :snshne: :drool: You're not crazy about them or anything are you?! LOL

Looks really good! I like the 'scape job a lot.
:LOL: What reef balls? Yeah I am a REEF Ball NUT! But honestly since I got the first one she said," I want one of the small ones in my tank ASAP!" So there it is!! :)

She's very excited and eager to learn all about it. We are going to learn here at the house and once it's all good and we have a good "system" it's going to her office on her new desk (she just got a SWEET new job).

Thanks for READING the thread!!

kathywithbirds

We need details on a build thread here... did you drill holes for those pegs? any glue/putty? Any mods on the cube? And a small 70w sunpod fits REALLY well on the cube nanos :)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
funny nobody noticed the laptop in the pics, is that an instructions page Al? Im going to call you oneB all from now on lol, so what incentive must we offer to get Julie posting? shall we start suggesting user names???

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes the rock was drilled and pegged. We used Nylon bolts from a local hardware store and I cut the heads off. Then screwed them into the holes and added some small dabs of "Marine Epoxy" in some key areas. Also while we were doing this I also used some LARGE gobs of Super Glue Gel to give a quick "Tack" to help hold things as we went along. It's made in three distinct pieces so it can be taken out easily if needed. The rock structure is VERY porous and has some very cool shapes on it. Once the water clears I'll try to get some close up pics showing all the different pieces of rock and the "caves & pathways she created. We went to an "Auqa-Scaping" session at our local Reef club this week and she got some great ideas and was able to apply them. I have to say it turned our really cool. Once the water settles down and stuff I'll take some more detailed pics.

Thanks for reading :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
funny nobody noticed the laptop in the pics, is that an instructions page Al? Im going to call you oneB all from now on lol, so what incentive must we offer to get Julie posting? shall we start suggesting user names???

:lol: the Laptop was for "guidance". She totally built her "Rock-Scape" before hand and we took pictures of it. Then I pulled them up on the laptop (took them in incremental steps) so she could see how she did it before.

oneBall :lol: She said WHY would she post and HOW would she because "Allen is always HOGGING the laptop!" that's not true.. she can use the PC :D

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
That's cool Al... :thumbup:

I've got a friend that did that on a 210 gallon reef and was able to make some amazing arches and ledges.

I'm considering doing that if I start a new reef someday.