Josh's SuperReef 65

cracker

Stir, I agree but I gotta face reality! LOL
I Recently went to LED lighting! I tore out the old M/H fixtures. Maybe that will help!

StirCrayzy

I think with any lighting change you're gonna see an increase before decrease. I've had LED on this tank since startup. Algae loves em, and I've turned em up and down with no real change.

StirCrayzy

OK , so last weekend I pulled another 1.5 lbs of algae from the DT, 30% WC, and now have a luxurious CUC attacking slowly.
I removed carbon / GFO from the reactor, and replaced with 1.5 cups of Phosguard instead, still haven't worked up the nerve to try out the biopellets, hopefully I won't ever need them . I really don't want a nutrient free tank, but I do prefer slightly less algae. The "turbo grazers" from @johnmaloney Reefcleaners.org are massive, and making better progress than the old giant Mexican turbos I used to have.
Finally got around to uploading some pics, and feeling positive, so don't laugh too hard.
Oh and @Mayja your monti frag is ready when you are.
I've got Birdnest frags too, can't remember the name ( from JJ) if you want to try and get some color from it.

That is the major drawback of high nutrient systems, not nearly as vibrant coral colors .
FTS

Monti spongodes (sunset?) Colony

Rainbow Acans

Turbo grazers, love when a CUC comes with their own CUC !

Contest Hammer

Frags

Last edited:

StirCrayzy

This weekend posed a trifecta of crappy luck on the system.
  • Friday nite filling the ATO reservoir. Went to bed, forgot I left the RODI running. Sump hi level alarm went off at 1am. Which signals about 2 g of space remains. Scrambled to the basement to shutoff water, slipped on the concrete and jarred my neck out of alignment.
After i vacuumed out extra 5g from the sump. Salinity was down to 30ppm. So I prepped a 20g WC for 40ppm to bring it up a bit
  • Got sidetracked Sunday 9pm, pulling algae and accidentally drained 25g.... :/
No biggie, only takes an hour ish to mix & heat an extra 5g after I pump the 20g out of my brute.
  • Apparently the Rio1700 that has been reliably mixing and pushing to the tank for a year decided it was done. After an hour of vinegar and scrubbing , still nothing more than a click and hum of the motor. No output. And No backup pump. I should know better.
Tried to use mj1200 from reactor, no luck.
Thought about unhooking my return pump, but carrying buckets would be easier than that.
I was just resigned to gravity fill buckets from the WC reservoir and remembered my $3 drill powered transfer pump from harbor freight. Though it leaked like crazy I managed to pump 15g from the reservoir , upstairs to the sump and it was enough to lighten the load so I could carry to reservoir up to the sump and dump the rest in, then brew the extra 5g and dump straight in....

What a PITA, serves me right for not being prepared. Oh well.
Guess who's getting a set of mag 7's in two days.. ;)

StirCrayzy

Just gets tight limited motion if I get sudden tense impacts. Last time it took a week of chiropractic to get my motion back. Starting to feel better., thanks for asking.
On the bright side...
Saturday I got a call from local Police that they found my jeep that was stolen 2 months ago.
I had to pack the pocket cannon, and go down to the ghetto to get it today. Honestly I figured it would be just a chassis remaining, so I was thrilled to hear the yard guy say it looked like it was still in good shape.
I just drove it home, sans radio/ ignition/ and all my tools. They really banged up the front end and probably drove through a few vacant buildings and did some urban off reading, before dumping it.
I'm truly surprised it isn't in pieces though. Around Detroit, everybody knows somebody that can get or do anything you can imagine off the grid.
yqa9upah.jpg

StirCrayzy

Also instead of dual mag7s, I stumbled across Amazon running a killer deal on quiet one pumps. So I ordered another (4000 model 995 gph for under $60) to match the return on the main tank. That gives me double backup protection since they'll be interchangeable with each other, and I have spare parts on hand. Since I've had good luck with this pump over two the last 2 years now, I'm feeling pretty good about it's quality.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Oh and @Mayja your monti frag is ready when you are.
I've got Birdnest frags too, can't remember the name ( from JJ) if you want to try and get some color from it.

Wow! I'm ready whenever you are! We haz more beer! Or, we can come out to you this time. Either way!

I just caught up reading and saw that you hurt your neck. Ugh. I did a fall like that two years ago when my then new external skimmer leaked gallons of water onto the floor and totally killed my back. Hope that yours is feeling better!

StirCrayzy

I've been struggling to keep frags upright in the sand. These turbo grazers are bulldozers. Give me a week with the frags upright, and they'll be ready.
@Mayja, how bout you and @Hutch meet me on the east side (khuenens or dragonmead) on labor day weekend and I'll bring a couple frags !

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I've been struggling to keep frags upright in the sand. These turbo grazers are bulldozers. Give me a week with the frags upright, and they'll be ready.
@Mayja, how bout you and @Hutch meet me on the east side (khuenens or dragonmead) on labor day weekend and I'll bring a couple frags !
We'd love to, but we'll be at MACNA that weekend.

StirCrayzy

I can't think of a better use of a weekend.!
If you want to swing by one day before then, let me know. I'll be around briefly during the week.
I can only hope next year , MACNA will be within driving distance from Detroit !
Cleveland, Chicago, Pittsburgh, heck I might even drive to Dayton, or Indy...??????
Come on MACNA, no midwest/east love?

cracker

Hey stir, How's it going? I added a urchin to my tank. The critter leaves a path of algal destruction behind it!

StirCrayzy

Going OK, algae is receding, urchins are awesome!
I got two rock boring urchins with my CUC from Reef cleaners. One died the day after arrival, the other has been scavenging every last piece of algae from one single rock. It's pretty cool. See here.

Also I have a blue and a red tuxedo urchin. They are by far the best algae destroyers I've ever had ! My last green urchin before the current group was 12 yrs old when it died.

StirCrayzy

After roughly two years, I lost a WP25, I just noticed it isn't working , and I'll have to disassemble and figure out what went wrong... Doesn't work when plugged into the controller for the other one, so it must be internal.