Jim's RSM 250

jimv

So I was looking on CL a couple of days ago and came across a RSM 250 for sale. I was not really looking to upgrade my 130 but it was around the corner so I thought I would take a look. To my wife's surprise I came home with a new tank. I didn't notice it when I bought it but the stand had some water damage on the bottom of the side that was against the wall. I can't hide it at my house so I need to try and think is a creative way to repair it. I was thinking of painting some quarter round trim black and going around the base to hid it. Over all I think it was a good buy. It came with live rock, Steve's LEDs, dual BRS media reactors and the stock equipment though I think I a missing a couple of things.

upyjadad.jpg

uje3u9em.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimv

The live rock has a few things I could use help identifying:

Toad stool?

yza7a8aq.jpg

Zoa that is not opening?

hetasy8a.jpg

Ugly Zoa?

juze9equ.jpg

?

heta8u7u.jpg

?

yva9yqyj.jpg

Really worried about this one:

hury5ene.jpg

jimv

I am missing the bubble trap in the left chamber. Is this just a block of foam? Is this needed? Do you run the fine filter floss?

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I am missing the bubble trap in the left chamber. Is this just a block of foam? Is this needed? Do you run the fine filter floss?

Large foam sponge, I use it.
LINK

I don't use the white polishing filter, clogs up fast and too expensive.
I just use the cheap stuff from petco and cut it like this
ThreadLink

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Most members don't run the black foam filters in RSM 250 (my guess is 90% don't, from the tank threads I have read) - I don't, I only run the fine filter

but one can run them, they just need to be cleaned. I always ran the course filter in my RSM 130D & rinsed weekly - I was hesitant to not run them in my RSM 250, but after lots of members told me they didn't run them, I gave it a go & it has worked well for me.

jimv

I'm not sure. They are not trying to kill each other and swim around together but they both don't host in the same location and they do nip at each other. They also don't exhibit the mating behavior I was familiar with when I had freshwater fish.