JBL Proscan

NickF

https://www.jbl.de/en/proscan

I saw these in my LFS earlier & I think they sound like a great idea, I hate trying to match the colours on test kits. Unfortunately it says this is only for freshwater, let's hope they do one for marine soon as I'd certainly give it a try.

DaveK

I'd say save your money. I haven't tried the product but I see possible issues.

It uses test strips, which are known to be very inaccurate. In my opinion, this is a show stopper even in FW.

It requires a smart phone and app. If you don't have one, it's going to be expensive.

The system still uses a color chart. The smart phone then takes a picture of it and the test strip. It does do the color compare. This may be a big advantage for people that have a lot of trouble with seeing colors.

The vendors site does not say if the smart phone app can store the values over time so you can spot trends. It would be great it it could.

The system does give "recommendations" on how to correct "issues" it finds. Naturally, it recommends JBL products. Personally, I have an extreme dislike for anything that provides additional commercial advertisements in my life.

To be fair, this is a first generation of products like this. We may see much better products in the not to distant future. If you already own a smart phone and a FW system, it might be worth the cost of the test kit just to see how it works. Otherwise, put the money toward the conventional test kits you really need for a reef.