Jaw's 28 gallon nano

jaws789832

OK I am new at this so don't chastise me too hard. Figured I would start a post here since I am finally getting some life in it LOL

So my cycle took about 2 weeks. I waited a few extra days to make sure and all my parameters stayed good, except for magnesium which is running high at 1600 ppm. I checked my freshly mixed salt water and that's what it is running out of the barrel so I either got a bad batch or am just horrible at reading the red sea test kit. Anyways I decided to add my CUC. I ordered from reefcleaners.org and most things arrived alive except for my porcelain crab (don't know why I ordered it though it looked cute I guess0 and 4 of the 6 hermits. John at reef cleaners promptly refunded the money and was a real pleasure to work with.

008_zpsec075b91.jpg

About a week went by and my wife and I were getting bored of watching a bunch of snails cruise around, so we decided to throw a fish or 2 in there and see what happens. Checked my parameters, with everything still being fine, did a 10% water change just for good measure and bought a couple of Tomato clowns. I know probably not the best choice but out of all the fish at the lfs they looked the hardiest and healthiest and I figured I would need both LOL.

006_zps8eba5051.jpg

For the next week I pretty much checked my parameters daily. Amonia went up just a tad (still below .25) the first day but after that it dropped to 0 again and everything else remained good. I then went back down to the LFS to see what I would need to start putting some coral in there. I wasn't planning on buying any yet but somehow before I knew it I was walking out with 2 new frags. Those fish store owners are kinda sneaky. So brought them home, acclimated them, dipped them and put them in my tank. They sure didn't look as preety then as they did in the lfs but they are coming around now. The mushrooms really glow bright green at night

013_zps3004d9c8.jpg

015_zps12155d50.jpg

014_zps9100ee12.jpg

OK so now I have a couple of questions. What is the thing in the center of the mushrooms on the next picture. Its growing like a weed and is kinda cool to look at because it sways in the current and kinda pulses, but is it going to hurt the mushrooms?

018_zpse0a95a70.jpg

Also the LFS said this was a xenia. Is that what it really is and at the bottom of it is this ok? and if not what should I do about it?

019_zps76794e8e.jpg

020_zps398b0be6.jpg

Thanks all and happy reefing!

puffermike

If it pulses it's most likely Xenia. Is it ok? In gardening terms this is like asking if dandelions are ok growing in grass or in the crack of a sidewalk. It's almost bulletproof! A great starting coral to say the least. I'd stick with simple corals like that for now including the mushrooms. Your tank is very young and it's coming a long nicely. Slow and steady. :D

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 on xenia becoming invasive - lots start with it because it looks cool, when it spreads all over the tank many regret it, me, I would trade it back to the lfs & scrape off any bits of it you find, though it may grow back. But I see it in lots of tanks, I had it in my 1st tank & when I upgraded to my next tank, I left behind $400 of Tonga Branch LR, to leave it behind.

jaws789832

A little update on how things are going Well maybe not so little so if I bore you to death I apologize). First a little about me, I am a Fireman in New Mexico. I work 2 days on 4 days off so for 2 days out of every 6 my tank gets no love. The following pictures were taken immediately after I got home so I will spend today playing catch-up LOL. The pictures look greener than the tank actually is so don't be too alarmed but it does appear that I am at the start of an algae breakout which I will try to get in check a bit. Also Once again don't chastise me too hard, I am brand new to this and learning as I go lol.

I do a water change once every 6 days (about 4 gallons which I estimate to be about 15%). I know that's probably overkill but because I don't have a doser (and am not really sure how to even begin that process) I figure that's the best way to make sure all my elements (calcium mag and those other things I can't even pronounce) stay in check. I also check my parameters about 3 times a week (that's just more for my log so I can tell how fast things swing out of whack). So far everything is pretty much remaining steady at the numbers that I want to see.

So anyways After I added the corals from above. Everything seemed to be doing great. I didn't have phenomenal growth but everything seemed to be maintaining and showing signs of growth. So in my infinite wisdom I decided to go back down to the LFS and see what else I was ready for. Actually my main goal was to get another peppermint shrimp (because they are some of the funnest things to watch in the tank) and maybe a hermit or 2. Well once again that sneaky LFS owner struck and I ended up walking out with 4 more frags, plus the shrimp and hermits. Actually the store is awesome and very helpful. Couple of things that make me nervous about all this is I don't yet have my quarentine tank set up. I made the mistake of ordering it online and some things went on back order so parts are coming in sporadically. You might call me stupid for this but I ordered a 12 gallon nano cube for my quarantine. I was going to leave it set up so I wanted a tank that looked good and I could just pull things from the main tank and put them in the quarantine tank (filter media, ceramic, carbon ect).

All the additions were properly acclimated (I think) using the drip method taking about 2 hours to complete. All the corals came from the same tank in the store so I acclimated them all together but the shrimp and the hermits all came from different tanks so I acclimated them separately (had 4 different drips going lol). Overall probably used 20% of my tank water just to acclimate, so that week my tank got another water change for free.

008_zpsaaeae7cf.jpg

This is where I will get chastised a lot. I usually do go with a plan and know somewhat what I want. I wanted some Zoa's (I think that's what they are called) and I saw this frag that had several different colors in it so I decided to get it. Since I put it in a few of the polyps haven't opened but most have so I see this as a good sign. Also notice the rock with the mushrooms on it. I cut off the xenia in the middle of them because I was scared it would drown out the mushrooms from the comments from above, but more on that in a second.

007_zps9eeb6638.jpg

This was just an impulse buy(the one in the upper right corner). My wife likes purple and on this one the arms are a beautiful purple with the polyps being green and flowy like. I am not even sure what it is called atm but the Store assured me it would do fine in my tank (they pretty much know by newbie history and tank so I rely on them a lot). Also notice the xenia (its kinda a funny story). I pulled out the mushroom rock with scapel in hand wanting to cut him off. After chopping him off I lost him into the tank. He curled up into about a BB size ball and I spent 20 minutes trying to catch him in the flow of the tank. After finally catching him (knowing that corals are animals and not plants) I felt bad and figured I would glue him to a plug until I could figure out what I wanted to do with him. Problem was at this point I couldn't tell top from bottom he was curled up that tight. I proceded to put a dab of glue on plug and just plopped this BB on it hoping for the best. I put him back in the tank to see what would happen and at first he was not happy at all. Seemed I had glued all his arms down, and he was struggling to break his polyps free to start pulsing again. heheheh after a couple of days he is back at it so I guess he will be OK. You guys were right, Kinda like a dandelion, pretty much unkillable, now I have to figure out what to do with him LOL.

009_zps6e065b51.jpg

This is one of the original corals (another type of xenia I think). Once again purple so wife had a say in that one. At first it didn't look so happy but has since grown a new branch and seems to be doing great. I also took him off the plug and glued directly to live rock.

014_zps8249fe14.jpg

this is one of the hitchhiker corals. At first it didn't have any color at all but now under the blue moon lights the bumps glow a kinda green blue. I am assuming its a type of brain coral But I really have no idea.

013_zpsda701c07.jpg

004_zps81730db2.jpg

this is a type of brain coral that glows bright green at night. I left him on the plug because I wasn't sure where to put him yet. The sore said he should be towards the top and in medium flow but I wanted to see how he would do before affixing him permanent. Oh by the way I do start everything low and then gradually move them to their new home for light acclimation9 over the course of 2 or 3 days).

019_zps242a0920.jpg

this mushroom is absolutely gorgeous. He was a piece off the lfs's display tank. they had him out of direct light in a cave so that is sort of why I put in in the shadow. He has pretty much doubled in size since I added him so I think he is extremely happy with the placement. I was just wondering though will he spread (like different mushrooms coming out of him ) or will it always be just this one.

OK now on to some of my unknowns and questions.

018_zpse22cbc91.jpg

I am getting several of these fernlike things growing. None of the CUC seems to like them, they will try it then move on. They are actually kinda pretty but should I remove them. they are single strands just like this and are sporadically in the tank.

016_zps08431fb5.jpg

this one is kinda weird. I popped up a few days ago. Its sorta like a piece of kelp. just growing as a big leaf. The hermits seem to like it but they don't just mow it down like they do some of the others.

015_zps4ca735e6.jpg

this I think is a piece of my Chaeto from my mini refugium in the back. It appeared and attached itself to my LR not sure wether to pull it or let it be. hermits seem to like it as well and with all the horror stories about hermit crabs killing things when the get hungry I want to make sure they have enough to eat. hmmmmmm.

010_zps398f9064.jpg

OK last but not least this is Frick and Frack. They spend most of their time in the back corner of the tank but its funn, when I get home from work in the morning they actually venture out for a little while and swim around. Its like they are glad to see me. But then they go right back to hiding and the only time I get to see them is feeding time, when they do come out again. I think Frack is going to be the female because she seems to be getting bigger but Frick is definatly the less timid of the 2.

006_zps71a152b4.jpg

OK that's enough for no I guess. Don't yell at me too much but let er rip.

Happy reefing all and until next time

Steve L

You have a great looking tank and everything is new and exciting right now. Over the next few weeks you're going to realize that you need to do some research before buying corals from the LFS. They tend to be well stocked with the "pretty" corals they know new reefers will buy on impulse without knowing what they're getting into. I know it isn't easy because you don't really know what to look for ahead of time, but doing a little research will save you hundreds if not thousands of dollars in corals and fish. Never impulse buy fish or coral without first knowing what you are getting into because what the LFS tells you and what the truth is are usually two entirely different things. Web site like Reef Sanctuary are full of well intentioned enthusiasts such as yourself, that are more than happy to share their experience with you. As you can see by this thread, if you ask a question chances are somebody here will know the answer.

Google is your friend, use it. Search on starter corals and fish. There is a wealth of information out there.

bullet

+1 Steve def use the internet but look at more than one page when doing your research take a little from each and draw your own conclusion

jaws789832

Hi, Wanted to check in and give an update. So far things seem to be going great. 4 new critters in the tank and a couple of DIY projects going on. I am in that dreaded 2 to 4 month stage so the algae is appearing but staying on top of it pretty well. To comment on the posts above, I do extensive research online. So much that my wife says I am looking at the computer more than I do the tank. The problem is (as we all know) If you ask the same question on 4 different forums you will surely get 4 different answers. Since I am no marine biologist I have to weigh the options and do what I think is best for my tank and I. I try to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I do have a quarantine tank set up and cycled just in case something doesn't work out so I have a place to move critters to if things go bad. When I go to the LFS I have a general idea on what I am looking for but the critters usually don't match exactly what I had in mind so then I have to make that impulse decision on whether to get it or not.

Anyways enough on that and on to the tank. I am having fun watching my hermit crab. He is fascinated with this particular shell I threw in the tank. I was reading on another thread that people haven't ever seen a hermit change shells, well this guy does it all the time. He will craw in and out of this shell, sometimes being out in the open water for a few seconds. They are pretty funny looking without a shell. Can't really get a good picture of him though because it happens so quick.

014_zps5d998908.jpg

I also added an emerald crab to help with the algae. He looks exactly like the LR so blend in well and very hard to see in pictures taken with my phone. He is like a lawnmower though and going to town on the brown algae.I know there is the ongoing debate about crabs but IMO they are actually the most fascinating to watch. They are always doing stuff unlike the fish who just kinda hang out and wait to be fed LOL.

The Star of the tank right now is the Orchid Dottyback, named Jimmi Hendrix (purple haze). He is a bright purple and beautiful.

IMG_0353_zps79fdf7ee.jpg

he didn't have any acclimation problems whatsoever. The second I put him in the tank he immediately started exploring. Always swimming around, Ate the first day I put him in and is just a pleasure to watch, unlike the clowns who just hang in the corner all day until its feeding time, then come out and swim around, just to retreat back to the corner when the food is gone.

IMG_0349_zps8e151758.jpg

044_zpsa1231eda.jpg

This is Jamaica, my Torch coral. He seems to be thriving. I actually got it because I was hoping it would persuade the clowns to come out and host in it. No luck there, they don't even know its in the tank.

The newest addition is a Duncan. Just got him yesterday so he hasn't been place yet just trying to figure where the best spot to put him would be. I know where I want to glue him but am afraid he would get too much light there so will have to leave him a bit mobile until I can be sure.

042_zpse701a222.jpg

All my other corals Are growing. The GSP (Cousin It) has really filled in and looks great. The Zoas are spreading but are only spreading on the original rock that they came on. Am hoping once that rock is filled in they will move onto my LR to form a carpet of color. The only one I am not sure about is my brain coral (Spock). He still has his bright green color but doesn't seem to be growing and I am noticing some algae growing on him, which I heard is a bad sign. I try to pick it off as best I can but don't want to scrub it as I am afraid I will cause more damage than I help. the pink xenia (not the pulsing) is spreading its wings and thriving. The pulsing one that I got as a hitchhiker is still living but I don't think it likes its placement. After the abuse I gave it of cutting it off the mushroom rock, I am surprised it lived at all. The mushrooms are getting huge. I was actually thinking about trying my hand at fragging one of them.

Started 2 new projects on the tank. I bought an apex system. I know the ongoing story of why would you spend more on a crontroler then you did on the tank, but I do plan on upgrading tanks at some point so I figure I might as well buy things now that I can cross over to a larger tank. The apex is amazing but seems pretty complicated to set up. The initial set up is easy to get everything running but to really use the thing to its potential requires some knowledge in computer programing.

IMG_0359_zps9f360877.jpg

I am still in the process of setting it up so excuse the spaghetti mess of wires. When its all up and running I will put a door on the outside to kinda hide and protect everything. It would have been a pain to mount it in My little tank stand so I decided to put it on the wall for ease of access and programing.

Along with that I decided to upgrade my lighting with a DIY light system. I wanted to be able to Dim the lights with the apex and to have more color options than just the white LEDS that came stock with the tank. So I ordered a LED kit with dimmable drivers and proceeded to gut my hood.

IMG_0363_zps4285fdb7.jpg

I am still in the process of this ATM.

jaws789832

Things are going good with tank. Few little trials and tribulations but nothing with a little hard work I couldn't overcome.
045_zps66cc2513.jpg

jaws789832

Finished upgrading my lighting system. Apex is up and running flawlessly. I love my dawn to dusk lighting. Fish are all doing great as are the corals. Only loss I have had so far is the torch coral and that was because my peppermint shrimp liked to dig for gold down inside him. Did add an anemone to see if the clowns would host but no luck. The shrimp started going after the anemone but after a few attempts gave up (musta got stung). He seems to have a hankering for the soft bubbly flowy things. Thought about getting rid of him but can't bring myself to do it. Had a case of flat worms and decided to use flatworm exit. Worked like a charm but if you use it be ready. I didn't think I had a lot until I used it, there were a lot more in there than expected but I was ready with saltwater and carbon and siphon.

jaws789832

A few pics and a few questions.
004_zps0c1da0c1.jpg

Like I said above, tank seems to be doing good. everything is growing. coming up on the 6 month mark. Started a 10 gallon tank that I hope to grow some Pods in we shall see how that goes.

005_zpsb386a7f2.jpg

that's my newest member.

011_zps809cae42.jpg

theres the fish at play. Everyone seems to be getting along now. At first when I added the wrasse, the dottyback had to show her might a bit but now they are doing great. Guess Violet figures it was too much trouble to try and catch Hotlips and finally gave up. Now they seem to get along great. One of the tomato clowns still always seems to stay in the back kinda hidden. they are both still about the same size so not sure if they will ever pair.

OK now a few questions.

007_zpsfec68036.jpg

the 2 little bumps at the bottom of the duncan head, Are those new heads forming or has my Duncan contracted warts?

006_zps4fb4166a.jpg

My anemone took a stroll around the tank and finally settled down here. His mouth doesn't appear to be open but the blank spot in the center kinda worries me. He looked like that when I got him but thought maybe because he was so small that's just the way he was and he would fill in. Is this a normal look or should I be worried. I target feed him Mysis which he accepts, but he just doesn't seem to be growing.

Coraljunkie

Doesn't look like the mouth is gaping so that's a good sign but it definitely looks bleached, keep an eye on it and don't disturb it

jaws789832

Hi all Figured I would give an update on how things are going. Its been over a year now since I started on this journey and I am still going strong. Hehehe I bet most of you didn't think I would last this long lol. Love this hobby and everything about it and I am still learning sooooo much. I have started a bunch of mini projects related to reefing. I have been trying to culture phyto plankton for some time. I do well at first, the phyto grows to a rich dark green, but then when I try to divide the culture it seem to crash on me. even though I shake and stir it at least once a day The phyto will start bunching together at the bottom and the green water will kinda turn clear. Not sure what it is that I am dong wrong on this but will keep trying. Here is my phyto station. I grow the pyhto to gut load the brine shrimp and t feed the amphipod/copepod tank.

014_zpstfk3czae_1.jpg

The Pod tank is just loaded with Pods. I harvest them by cleaning that Hang on filter. About once a week I clean it and get loads of pods that I net out and feed to the MT.

015_zpsm09ymoqj.jpg

I culture White worms and Black worms. The White worms I just started so letting the culture mature before I start raiding it but the balckworm tank is going strong. Its been up and running for about 6 months now and other than a minor mistake at the beginning I have more worms than I know what to do with. I made a simple little design with a 5 gallon tank for ease of harvesting. About once a week I do a complete water change on this and everything seems to be going good. I also throw in about 1 sheet of brown organic paper towels to the bottom (where most of the worm are and a few spirolina pellets to the top (where I feed the fish from).

011_zpsyhetwhky.jpg

012_zps87xyyqs4.jpg

I started a 20 gallon marine plant only tank. This is my newest project. I wanted to see what it takes to grow a marine plant only tank. The tank has been up and running for about a month and just finished its cycle. Most of these projects have been started with pieces I have lying around the house, or very good sales or donated by friends so not much money invested in these projects although some of the setups are less than ideal.

013_zps6rhtn7jo.jpg

As for my 28 gallon nano, Its doing great. Parameters all stay really stable (although some of them aren't ideal, but I am working on that). My PH ranges from 7.9 to 8.1. I tried to get it a little higher but it always stabilize right back down to this range. All the critters are doing good so I quit worrying about it and left it alone. Nitrates are minimal as are phosphates. Alkalinity is usually around 8dkh and drops to in the 6 range before the water change, this is what I have been working on to figure out how much to dose. I change the water about every 2 weeks which brings it back up to 8. Calcium stays stable at the 420 range though. My LFS said I should never dose alk without calcium but that doesn't make any sense. Why dose something that is not needed?. Mag stays stable at 1400ppm so that's not an issue. OK some tank shots then a few questions about fragging.

032_zpsqzjbgqmv.jpg

019_zpswy636ord.jpg

002_zps7xsmagba.jpg

021_zps48xyxfay.jpg

These next ones were taken without the lights on and are the focus of my questions

006_zpstqyo4uzp.jpg

008_zps4gsng9hy.jpg

010_zpss4eelrsy.jpg

That Red plate looking coral (montipora or something like that, I am horrible with remembering what these things are called that's why I name them lol and that is bubble gum) is growing out of control and I need to frag it. I grew so much that it is practically touching the glass now and makes it a pain to clean that side of the tank. To frag it can I just break it, and put the pieces on frag discs or is there something special I have to do? Whenever I even touch it the coral does put out a slimey substance so if I break it will it completely foul the tank?

Well that's about it for now except that I am working on upgrading. I am going to go with a 120 gallon and have been slowly buying the stuff for it. As we all know its an expensive hobby so whenever I have a few extra buck I buy something that is geared for the larger tank. Thanks for all the help in the past, I don't post much but I am always lurking and learning from you all. Look forward to hearing from you and happy reefing.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
great update & pics ! bet your fish love the live food, well done !

you can just snap of the monti I believe & the slime won't fou; your tank when you do...

see what others think...

and we DON"T want you to lurk so much ;) love the update & pics !!!

Oxylebius

To frag the monti you can either break it using fingers or some sort of coral cutter. Either way it will produce mucus, which helps it from picking up some disease and will help it heal. The mucus isn't a big deal in the tank. You can either glue the pieces to plugs or directly to other rocks in the tank.