Jawfish Compatability

RyanG

Are multiple jawfish compatable? I know that you can do males and females of the same species. But can you do different species in the same tank? Im setting up a 180 and would like to have a pair of Bluespots but I was wondering if I could keep Yellowheads as well?

What are other good tank mates? Any tangs? Or just mostly just smaller fish IE Chromis, firefish, etc?

bluespotjawfish

Typically one jawfish per tank. Two males can fight to the death. I have my Bluespot with a yellow tang and a Palani tang. I'm sure he doesn't adventure out as much as he would without the monsters, but he does fine with them.

Nervoustime

I have a Red Headed Jawfish in the same tank with a Bluespot. The Red Headed Jawfish has been with me for over a year now, and the Bluespot was added over eight months ago. I have had no problems with them fighting in my 90 gallon. At one time, they set up their homes right next to each other.

bluespotjawfish

:smck: No conflicts here. It is possible. I have had two myself. Your question was whether they were compatible. Non-compatible fish (and people) are often found living together.

RyanG

No no not conflicts just differences, I totally understand it now that it has been put into that frame of reference! Been there done that!

lcstorc

My lfs just got two blues in the other day. Idiots put them together in a little cube and one was injured very quickly. Now with more area you stand a better chance but from what I have heard two males will fight. Also the males are said to have larger mouths.

lcstorc

I know. Frank was going to let me get the injured one since they were willing to sell it cheap and it was eating, but I just couldn't stand to watch it die.

On a brighter note, Sunshine is doing very well. She took the tank changeover like a champ. Interrestingly enough she chose the same side of the tank as before but is building very different burrows. Before she was in the sand right up against the glass. Now she is in the rocks with shells and rubble built up around her and sand on the rock above. She is out and about much more now so she must be happy. Every day when I come home she has added to the burrow and already has at least 3 entrances.