It's good bye old RSM 130. =(

Well the time has come for my RSM 130 to leave me. A buddy of mine is leaving the hobby and passing me down his 90 Gallon reef. I do not have room for both tanks nor afford both of them. I was looking for advice for the move. I will be moving it from about a hour away. It was a bad timing since i am a bit slim on the money i can spend on this move. My plan was to reuse the substrate and some of the water. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have read mixed suggestions. Thanks guys!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My 1st choice would be to move it by taking it down putting everything in 5 gallon buckets submerged in sw. I would only keep enough of the sw to do this and use the old from the buckets & then fresh sw to refill ... I would replace the sand.

Once setup again, run fresh chemical filtration (like purigen) & be ready to have plenty of sw ready for changes, should any ammonia spike occur.

Congrats on the new tank ! See what others think...

saintsreturn

I have moved my tank three times now and one was from Florida to Texas. The way I move everything is with 5 gal buckets. Full them with all the SW you can from the tank and then add your contents. I stack my live rock with nothing attached and then put one piece per bucket for the ones with corals. I take my two smallest rocks and put them in their own bucket and put all the cuc in one and the fish in the other (depending how many fish you have)
I always keep the sand but rinse it with each move. As you add it to the buckets, the water turns to crap quick. I pull that water out and add more from the tank until I fairly satisfied with the rinsing. If you monitor how much you take in and out, this will also serve as a water change since you will have to top the tank back off.

This process has been successful for me each time. I lost a couple fish on the Texas trip but the damn air pump died and stressed the fish out before I caught it. Always keep the fish and cuc water aerated and to temp. Then acclimate like you would for any new fish.

A mobile distraction

I am going to have to keep the substrate for now since i cannot afford to replace that much at the moment. What did you rinse your sand with?

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
I am going to have to keep the substrate for now since i cannot afford to replace that much at the moment. What did you rinse your sand with?

I reused sand for my tank.
Washed it with plain old water in a bucket, in the bathtub.
Did a final rinse with RO water, then tossed it in the tank.
If you put it in the tank after the water, put it in like a bowlful at a time, slowly pouring it on the bottom, with powerheads off.
Will reduce the cloudiness a lot.

Sounds good. The substrate is pretty clean looking with the huge goby that has been living in the tank. The move has already started. I just move 70 pounds of LR to my house. The rest will be moved tomorrow. Going to be a long day...

Well it is now up and running. I will need to start a new thread for this build but here's a early pic before I move everything over from the RSM

ba3evasa.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Bit of an update. I will need to create a new build thread but here it is. 90 has been up for over a week now. Getting the Cyano issues out of the way. Here are a few pics.

y5uqu4e4.jpg

uma2u3e9.jpg

nujypenu.jpg

dahehy8a.jpg

ty5u3y5e.jpg

pumumu5a.jpg

apu3atup.jpg

9ujuzyqa.jpg

yvusutas.jpg

More to come.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk