ITHK's 150 gallon Reef Adventure

ithk21620

Well I decided to go broke and I bought a 150 gal tank a week ago. It needs lots of TLC but that is what winter is for. I picked up a used tank, stand, canopy, and sump for $350. The sump has a built in skimmer and is pretty worthless so I am going to build a new 55 gal sump for the system. Also going to build a steel stand because I just dont trust that much money sitting on a couple 2x4's. For now I am planning on keeping my RSM 130 but that might change once the BIG tank is finished and I buy a new house (No Room in my current house)

ithk21620

Here is what I have to work with:
IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Sump that I am not going to use:
IMG_3029.jpg

I will try to keep taking photo's and keeping things up to date. This is going to be a slow build since I dont have a place for it right now.

ithk21620

Started to clean up the tank today. Cleaned off all the silicone from the overflows and back of inside of tank. I am looking at recaulking the tank (Front corners look bad) but I am not sure of resealing a 150 gal tank. Anyone have any experience doing large tanks? Any help would be nice. I also ordered my plumbing parts for the upper portion of the tank.
I have a line on a ETSS XR 800 Skimmer at a good price, anyone have one or have used one? I know it is big for the tank but big is always better :)

ithk21620

Got my shipment of plumbing parts, silicone, electrical swith board for all the power and my new skimmer in this week. I have also started the process of resealing my 55 gal tank for the sump. I will post pics once I have more.

ithk21620

Well it has been a bit since I have posted an update. I got my skimmer in the mail a few weeks back and cant wait to see it in action but its a long ways away. Here are a few pics of the skimmer and waste collector.

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3187.jpg

I have resealed the 55 gal tank I am using for a sump.

IMG_3184.jpg

I have also have the 150 gal tank ready for the reseal job as well.

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

Thats all I have for now and will update soon once I get some more time to work on it.