Is this water ok?

ChitownRomeo

I just need to top off about 9 gallons of water. I couldn't find distilled water like I always use, so is this water ok? It says filtered thru Reverse Osmosis.

2r5sxft.jpg

DaveK

It's usable, but second best compared to distilled water. For drinking water like this they put back in some mineral content, so that the water tastes better. Also, it'd only RO water, not RO/DI water. This all means that it's possible to pick up some other unwanted items in the water. However, the main things you don't want like nitrate and phosphate should have been filtered out.

You will also find that this sort of water gets expensive, and you need to lug it home. Long term you best solution is to get your on RO/DI unit.

ChitownRomeo

.......... I only need about 5 gallons of it. My ro/di unit is stuck in my garage and we got 21 inches of snow so I can't get to it right now. I am only using this water 1 time....

DaveK

Distilled water by itself should not cause an algae bloom. However, it's possible that mixing the SW and doing a water change could involve other factors, for example really stirring up the substrata and releasing a lot of material into the water. Normally you shouldn't have a problem.

pgrtgunner

I was using my RO water until I found that it was also hooked up to the water softener. I had a BIG algae bloom. Now I buy my water from a water store, and I use a little of my RO water to make algae. all of my algae disappeared, with my syphoning algae off of the rocks and using this water stores water.