is this a bad lad?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Yup, its not a good thing to have in your tank, unless you have either peppermint shrimp, or a copperband butterfly to get rid of it.

BoomerD

Oh Yeah! Joes Juice to the rescue!!
I know Joe's Juice works well on aptasia, and I'm about to give it a test on a lovely Majano that popped out fo a rock the other day. Right in the middle of a colony of bluish zoanthids.

Last edited:

filefish

I have a bunch of these in my tank too. They came in attached to some red algae. The Reef creature identification book by Paul Humann on page 98-99 identifys them as TURTLE GRASS ANEMONE ( viatrix globulifera)

wooddood

the wood dude
i could be wrong but it does'nt look like any aptaisia i have ever seen. probally a rare type of anemone worth millions lol.

maffu

Ok Ok Ok.... I have a peppermint shrimp now and if he eats it.... is a bad guy... if it lives... and it stings anything I have a needle ready...

Now... wooddood and filefish... do you really think it is something other than an aptai. or are ya haveing a giggle?

I know the crack about it being rare etc. was a joke but I am not one to throw the baby out with the water... and if there is a chance its no bad for the tank.... it will live and remain.

confused now! :)

Matt

Witfull

its not that they are bad as in killers of stuff, but bad that they are a nusience and propigate like mad. first you have one,,,then 5 then,,,15 etc etc infanatum.

wooddood

the wood dude
all kidding aside, i have had aptasia in the past and they were always brown in color. i have never seen one that was white like your pic but again i could be wrong. if it were me i would keep an eye on it and see if any more start to pop up around it. if so then it may be an aptasia. if it's not touching anything close to it leave it alone and see what it does. also i would do a search on aptasia and read all you can about them. like witt said there not killers but if left unattended will over run your tank. it's really not anything to worked up over just keep an eye on it and see if it multiplies. if it does then i would kill it. we have always used kalkwasser to kill them but you may have to do it a few times to kill it. thier tuff little boogers. i have also heard good things about joes juice but have never used it my self. do what you think you should it's your tank i'm just telling you what i would do. good luck and keep us posted. dave!

wooddood

the wood dude
this is what the ones i have had looked like.
5Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

Last edited:

mps9506

Most of the ones I've had in my tanks were brown.
My new setup has had clear ones popping up though. I'm positive they are the same since I've had the same live rock and same stuff in it for two years almost now.
I think I have a very very nutrient poor system now (barely feed the tank, way oversized skimmer) and they don't get anything to eat ever and therefore are now clear and tiny instead of brown and bigger like they were.
Just something I suspect, no way for me to prove it, probably a big fat brown aiptasia will pop up tomorrow.

Anyhow I think the color is just like otherthings in the sea, changes under different conditions, smae species of corals, even same colonies are different colors under different conditions.

maffu

Appreciate your input fella's I will wait and watch... I kinda like the idea of something for nothing! But if it spreads or breeds... its gonna get injected.

The tank is about 7 weeks old now and I spotted two tiny zoo polyps growing on some LR the other day that have come out of no-where so I am pretty excitable at the moment!

Thanks

Matt