is skimmer needed on 55 FOWLR?

REEFerMan1985

I have set-up and 55 gallon FOWLR and plan to only keep a small eel and a trigger or dwarf lion in it. The skimmer was broken in the moving process and I don't really have the funds to buy a new one. I had to set up the tank to get rock in water. Any advice on if a low stocked 55 needs a skimmer?

DublD

I wouldn't call that a light load. All three can eat quite a bit and are messy eaters. The skimmer isn't needed but it would certainly be beneficial. If you are going skimmerless, I would be very religous about water changes and make sure you are growing macroalgae. I think a good skimmer makes ALL the difference though.

squiers007

Eels and lionfish are messy eaters and as such will leave a bunch of food on the bottom to breakdown. I would say that unless you want to do weekly water changes you get a skimmer. I would recommend a Aqua C remora for a hang-on and a Reef Octopus 110 if you have a sump. Others will recommend different skimmers for in sump use, but most will agree on the Aqua C being the best hang-on for a tank that size.

REEFerMan1985

I figured I would need one....Well I'll look into the skimmer you all recommened and thanks again for the advice. I may have to go a couple months with out one but I'll do water changes every week to two weeks until I get one. THe tank is still cycling so that gives me a little time to save up some money. Thanks again for the advice.