Is my feather duster dead?

Poonaka

Bought him a couple days ago. He was buried in the substrate at the lfs with just the feathery part sticking out. The entire tube has substrate stuck to it. Anyways the day after I added him to my tank I noticed 2/3rds of the substrate tube is now empty and I have yet to see the feathers emerge. I checked at night too.

Jess

Can you post a pic for us? Also, what are your recent water parameters? How did you acclimate the little guy?

Poonaka

Can you post a pic for us? Also, what are your recent water parameters? How did you acclimate the little guy?

My ammonia and nitrites are 0. My nitrates are around 30ppm. I used the turkey baster acclimating method over a one hour period. I also kept him under water the entire time.

Here's a photo:

the image tag never seems to work... IMG_0597 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

Jess

Well the substrate on its tube is normal. It does look a little limp, but give it some time, it might bounce back. Have you had feather dusters before in this tank?

Jess

Also how long has this tank been up & running? They normally need a well established tank..

Jess

Well if you've had other feather dusters that were fine, I'd say maybe this is a "fluke"... or maybe it will bounce back like I said. Really hard to say. Sorry I don't have further info for you. Maybe someone else will chime in. I've had some that do great, and others that just don't make it.

Poonaka

Well if you've had other feather dusters that were fine, I'd say maybe this is a "fluke"... or maybe it will bounce back like I said. Really hard to say. Sorry I don't have further info for you. Maybe someone else will chime in. I've had some that do great, and others that just don't make it.

Np I appreciate the help. Guess I will hope for the best.

Jess

Yeah, if the tube is empty then it is dead.

True but if it's "hiding" in there you may not see it and it will appear empty. My current feather duster does this to me all the time! Just a thought...

However if you pick the tube up and there is literally nothing in side then yes, d-e-a-d-.

molsen187

if your nitrates are at 30ppm you might want to get them down a little bit. thats kind of high that might be irritating the feather duster.

Poonaka

if your nitrates are at 30ppm you might want to get them down a little bit. thats kind of high that might be irritating the feather duster.

I'll be doing a 30% water change either tomorrow or the day after. Going to do that weekly until my nitrates are under control. I was mixed up early and assumed nitrates lower than 50 ppm was ok. :(