Is it really impossible to use tapwater for saltwater aquarium?

SeeK828

Hello all,

I have been keeping FOWLR setup for a few years now and I have always used RO water to make my saltwater. But with the high volume of discarded water from the RO system I can't help but feel that using RO is actually not very environmentally friendly if I can't come up with ways to use the discarded water efficiently.

So my question is if it is really that impossible to just use tap water to mix the saltwater that we need?
Has there been new technologies developed that can make the tap water suitable?
Is tap water suitable if I am only keeping hardy fish and no coral?

Just curious here. Any comment would be great!

Cheers.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Impossible? No not at all. Advisable? Not really!

Even for your less sensitive tanks (FO or FOWLR) I still like to see them given the best I can. They also come from the same waters that our coral come from and thus aren't well equipped to deal with the HUMAN needed additives to water. Depending on where you live, where your source water comes from, and what the people at the processing plant had for breakfast that day (just kidding but really . . ) there's no way to know for SURE what other additives are being introduced to your water supply.

Is RO/DI a very "Green" method? HECK NO! Does it make me sick to know that for every gallon of RO/DI I get that I'm wasting 3-4 more? YES! So I capture as much as I can and use it around the house.. right now it's no problem because I'm watering the plants outside with it. During the winter I try to save it but some still goes to waste.

If you're serious about your tanks AND you want to be "Green Minded" there are a few ZERO Waste type systems out there. They cost a good bit more but they are advertised to have little to NO waste water. I've never had the pleasure of having one (yet) but I like the idea.

For the record I'm a "Green Guy". I carry several "Green" certifications and serve on local and one state committee on GREEN so I'm all for saving the planet every chance I get. Sometimes to a fault . . .

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Is tap water suitable if I am only keeping hardy fish and no coral?

Just curious here. Any comment would be great!

It's not the fish & coral that is the biggest problem... (I think) it's the algae that tap water causes to grow so well
1183.gif
the ro/di units remove the trace elements the algae likes...

Sure someone can give you a more technical reply - but I think that's the basics of it...

Some water plants & the lawn with the discard water... with this $5 attachment, you can make your ro/di from a hose outside & water the lawn at the same time
009.gif
I know a few members that do this

Garden Hose Adaptor 1/4" Push Connect (Murlok) - English

SeeK828

Impossible? No not at all. Advisable? Not really!

Even for your less sensitive tanks (FO or FOWLR) I still like to see them given the best I can. They also come from the same waters that our coral come from and thus aren't well equipped to deal with the HUMAN needed additives to water. Depending on where you live, where your source water comes from, and what the people at the processing plant had for breakfast that day (just kidding but really . . ) there's no way to know for SURE what other additives are being introduced to your water supply.

Is RO/DI a very "Green" method? HECK NO! Does it make me sick to know that for every gallon of RO/DI I get that I'm wasting 3-4 more? YES! So I capture as much as I can and use it around the house.. right now it's no problem because I'm watering the plants outside with it. During the winter I try to save it but some still goes to waste.

If you're serious about your tanks AND you want to be "Green Minded" there are a few ZERO Waste type systems out there. They cost a good bit more but they are advertised to have little to NO waste water. I've never had the pleasure of having one (yet) but I like the idea.

For the record I'm a "Green Guy". I carry several "Green" certifications and serve on local and one state committee on GREEN so I'm all for saving the planet every chance I get. Sometimes to a fault . . .

I also want to give my fishes the best it can get even if it is hardy. But, like you said, looking at those 2 gallons of wasted water for every gallon i make is making me hoping for a compromise.
I am unfortunately living in a townhouse right now with next to no lawn outside. I am also not keeping any plants in the house so the usual solution of watering plant doesn't really work for me.
I guess I was just hoping that there are some new additives or new method out there that can make the water more "clean" in a less wasteful fashion.

I have heard of the Zero Waste System too and maybe that is really the best bet for me. I haven't heard people talking about it around town here but maybe as it gains popularity then I will start seeing them and maybe even see the price come down for a bit.

I am also thinking about this since I have been keeping freshwater system also with nothing more than tap water with standard de-chlorine product and both the fish and the plants are doing great. That is why I am wondering if saltwater really create such a big difference.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your comment.

SeeK828

It's not the fish & coral that is the biggest problem... (I think) it's the algae that tap water causes to grow so well
1183.gif
the ro/di units remove the trace elements the algae likes...

Sure someone can give you a more technical reply - but I think that's the basics of it...

Some water plants & the lawn with the discard water... with this $5 attachment, you can make your ro/di from a hose outside & water the lawn at the same time
009.gif
I know a few members that do this

Garden Hose Adaptor 1/4" Push Connect (Murlok) - English

I am also aware of the possibility of a algae-fest should I use tap water. But again, I have use tap water for fresh water system for a long time with not much algae problem. So, is saltwater really that different?

Thanks for your comment!

r2d2

I would rather look to use that rejection water in a wise way: house cleaning, gardening, etc.
Another option is a permeate pump, that devise reduces significantly the amount of water rejection and also makes RO water faster.
Greetings

GlassMunky

I am also aware of the possibility of a algae-fest should I use tap water. But again, I have use tap water for fresh water system for a long time with not much algae problem. So, is saltwater really that different?

Thanks for your comment!

I think the main difference in this is that for our reef-tanks we have much more intense lights, which is whats helping the Algea (and corals) grown. I use tap water and a de-cholinator for my FW tanks with no ill effect. My chichlids even recently spawned. Would you be able to use that RO "waste water" for the FW tanks?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Good suggestion Arturo!!

I also know people that will use the "waste" for toilet flushing, for washing machine and many other "non-critical" uses.

Keep in mind that FW inhabitants are genetically equipped to handle less than ideal water. FW, by nature, isn't nearly as pristine and stable as SW. There for FW critters are better suited for such than SW.

With all this being said, it really depends on the source water, your husbandry skills, and some degree of L.U.C.K. :)

The LFS here in town uses nothing but TAPWATER and has for years. One contributor is that our SOURCE water is some of the best in the nation due to our local and geographic design. No water runs into our county from outside the county which leads to some amazing water. But... even with that purity comes the chance from "mineral" contamination and other "un-knowns".

I can't remember the name of the ZERO WASTE system but I do know that "The Asheville Aquarium" is using that for their "Water Treatment" or they were at one point.

SeeK828

Using the waste water for a freshwater tank sounds like a great solution to me but my freshwater tank is actually not in the same location as my saltwater tank and where I make the RO water. (One is at work and the other at home) So transporting the water will be a hassle for me.

I have tried saving the water for household chores in the past but I make so much more wastewater than I can use so I always run out of space for storing them.

I guess I can change my whole setup and move it from the spare washroom to the garage so I can store water with multiple large garbage can. But my garage currently has no water supply so that is easier said than done.

I too agree that the result of using tapwater can greatly vary according to where we live and the quality of our local supply water. I too live in a place with pretty good water as far as I know. So maybe I will give it a try someday and see for myself.

Anyways, thank for all the comments guys

GlassMunky

I would consider yourself lucky if you have good tap water. Mine here, outside of DC, tastes like straight up chlorene......

appleton

I have been in the saltwater hobby just over 10yrs and have always use tap water.Within that time,i had 1 algae bloom which was a result of poor quality lighting back in the early years.I keep softies and leathers and they have all flourished.

BigFish11

I too have only used tap water in my reef. I dont really know if it has any benefit, but i fill up my containers and then let them sit on a shelf till i need them. Probably not the best method, but i have used it for years with no problem, but i also live in a place with good tap water. Good meaning i have no problem drinking it myself. To sum it up, is there a better way than what i am doing? Sure, but this has worked for me. Im just a baller on a budget trying to make this work.

DaveK

Here is the bottom line when it comes to tap water verses RO/DI water...

A RO/DI unit is going to cost you about $150 + consumables. It's true you will discard about 2 to 3 gal for everyone you make. So you'd have to count that onto your water bill and if you have it sewer rent.

In a reef tank of any size, you are goig to have a lot of time, effort and money involved itn it. Fish typically cost $20 and up. Corals about $25 and up. You can easily have livestock with a replacement cost of over $1000 or more.

Are you going to risk all that to save a few dollars on your water bill each month?

IMHO, the only smart thing to do is to use RO/DI water, no matter how good your tap water seems. Keep in mind that your tap water can also vary in quality depending upon the season and other factors. What's good today may not be good tomorrow.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is it impossible ? No it's not !

I have been using tap water for 8 years and have kept just about everything without any issue. As has been mentioned alot depends on the water quality in your area.

SeeK828

Yeah where I live has tap water that can be drank right from the tap too so that is why I am actually considering it.

Well, I am glad to hear both side of the story, especially some successful ones!

SeeK828

Here is the bottom line when it comes to tap water verses RO/DI water...

A RO/DI unit is going to cost you about $150 + consumables. It's true you will discard about 2 to 3 gal for everyone you make. So you'd have to count that onto your water bill and if you have it sewer rent.

In a reef tank of any size, you are goig to have a lot of time, effort and money involved itn it. Fish typically cost $20 and up. Corals about $25 and up. You can easily have livestock with a replacement cost of over $1000 or more.

Are you going to risk all that to save a few dollars on your water bill each month?

IMHO, the only smart thing to do is to use RO/DI water, no matter how good your tap water seems. Keep in mind that your tap water can also vary in quality depending upon the season and other factors. What's good today may not be good tomorrow.

You make a good point there, friend.
I have considered the water bill. However, like I have probably said in my original post, I am not considering to not use RO because of the water bill, since I live in a place where the tap water is on an annual rate that is very low. So the cost of the water is hardly the issue here.
But I am bring up this issue because of seeing myself wasting all those water every single day while the world is running out of freshwater in many places.
I am not trying to be a Green master here or anything. I am simply curious if I can do better.

woolfe

I just moved the fish department of the LPS I work for (1900 gals of water, 5 250 gal. MARS systems and a few large tanks that were 75 gal. & up. oh and I moved all the water too so I wouldn't have to recycle everything. Ugghh in 45 gallon buckets... pushed & pulled up the ramp of a U-Haul truck.....)
anyway, I accidentally put a bucket of fresh water into my coral tank.... A lot of stuff died and the 2 fish in there were extremely stressed out for about 2 days they didn't get back to normal until three water changes of 30 gallons each, they still seem a little off. One of them is a Red Sea Sailfin Tang. His name is Randy & I've had him for 5 years. I moved him to the 8 foot coral tank at the store because he just wasn't happy in the 90 gal. He really didn't have enough swimming room with only 4 feet. But anyway... I will never use tap water on purpose in my salt systems!

Maybe you could use the water to fill your tub. :soap:

Last edited: