Is Bleaching Coral's Way of Making the Best of a Bad Situation?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Coral bleaching has increased widely in recent decades. Because it often precedes coral death and the loss of the reef itself, conservationists are naturally concerned that many of the world's reefs are in trouble.

But new findings suggest that when coral is threatened, bleaching may be part of the solution.

It now appears that coral colonies, when confronted with dramatic environmental changes, may purge themselves of existing algae to make room for other algae more capable of thriving in the challenging conditions. Bleaching, then, may not signify coral's imminent demise, but its ability to tough out new conditions.

In one set of experiments, marine scientist Andrew C. Baker of the New York Aquarium found that corals that undergo bleaching after being exposed to sudden environmental change are more—not less—likely to survive in the long run.

"This counters conventional wisdom that bleaching is detrimental from all perspectives," Baker said.....

....Recent studies by McCulloch and Baker offer hope that imperiled corals are flexible enough to survive.

In Edinburgh, McCulloch drew on geological records to demonstrate the resilience of coral during periods of significant climate change over the past 500,000 years. According to his data, eras of warm global temperatures—when sea levels rose by as much as 18 feet (6 meters) above today's level—were periods in which reefs flourished rather than suffered.

Explaining the results, McCulloch said rising sea levels provide "space for corals to grow, and warmer ocean temperatures allow expansion of reefs to sub-tropical regions."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0725_coralbleaching.html

Witfull

good info,

one thing i notice, with a carpet anemone i got from Spkyes. it had been kept under lower light, fed heavily and was pale green. when i put it under my halides its was pale for a few weeks, then started to turn white.i reduced feeding, i fed it sparingly. over the next few weeks had turned the palest of green over all with only a few spots of "proper Green". then within a week, it burst into color again. i fed a large shrimp and it blew up like a ballon vibrant in color.

needless to say i was quite concerned for its health, and was VERY relieved to see its recovery. perhaps this is also an example of out with the old, in with the new (and improved.)

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have had several experiences similar to yours Wit. When I increased my PAR levels with new bulbs most of my SPS bleached but they have recovered and even my Caps which I thought died are making a comeback. It's really quite amazing how these animals can adjust to different environments and bleaching is one way.