Intank Media Basket Lighting

anheezy

I was wondering if anyone knows if having a light either clipped on the back lid, or a submersible light, would encourage algae growth within the display area. I just used my phone's led flashlight to illuminate the back chamber where the Intank media basket would be and the light showed through the back display. There looks to be a little opaqueness to it, kind of like window tinting but i dont know if that would promote algae growth within the DT.

I have been having high levels of nitrate for the past week (20-40ppm) and was trying to go the refugium route with chaeto to help with the problem. I havent been feeding and have already taken out whats left of the decomposed shrimp used for the cycling process. I am on my 16th day cycling and have a number of invertebrates for my cuc. I also have been doing 20% water changes, twice within the last 4 days. Thanks in advance for any advice.

ErnestoC

I have 2 submersible lights on mine and work beautiful. One is on the top and the other on the bottom. My Chaeto has grown and my nitrates have disappeared.

Yes, it will show a little light from the back but will not affect fish.

Just add your submersible lights to the back wall of the media basket and the chateo will cover many of this light to reflect to your tank:

IMG_2217.jpg

Tokalosh

WOW, now this looks promising, could you please shed some light on the light you used and does the lights have a major impact on the tank temp?

Tok

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
First of all don't worry about your NO3 right now. That's actually a good sign. If you're mid-cycle just sit back and let it stew. Once the cycle is over do a couple of large water changes to remove the NO3 and then start seeing where your tank is in regards to weekly testing.

You shouldn't have ANY inverts in your tank during the cycle. That's the time to let the levels build so you have a solid foundation for future development within your tank. Take the time to build a solid foundation and the rest of your work has a MUCH better chance of success. Build upon a shaky foundation and everything has a high chance of crashing down at any time.

Right now is the time to sit and watch and test :)

anheezy

I have 2 submersible lights on mine and work beautiful. One is on the top and the other on the bottom. My Chaeto has grown and my nitrates have disappeared.

Just add your submersible lights to the back wall of the media basket and the chateo will cover many of this light to reflect to your tank:

I was hoping you responded ErnestoC. I love your tank and am hoping to copy your build and have your success.

First of all don't worry about your NO3 right now. That's actually a good sign. If you're mid-cycle just sit back and let it stew. Once the cycle is over do a couple of large water changes to remove the NO3 and then start seeing where your tank is in regards to weekly testing.

You shouldn't have ANY inverts in your tank during the cycle. That's the time to let the levels build so you have a solid foundation for future development within your tank. Take the time to build a solid foundation and the rest of your work has a MUCH better chance of success. Build upon a shaky foundation and everything has a high chance of crashing down at any time.

Right now is the time to sit and watch and test :)

Ammonia and Nitrate have been 0 for the last couple of days, do you think i should take the CUC out then and wait a little longer or is it ok to leave them in there and not put anything else in there for another week or two? I was hoping they would clean up the algae outbreak so it won't go overboard. Only lost one hermit crab so far and took his body out of the tank, couldn't seem to find his shell though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're reading (0's) then you're fine to leave em in there. Odds are they've made it through the toughest part.

anheezy

Thanks bigal, In just gonna wait it out then. How frequent should I be doing a water change? Once a week or can I do it a little more frequent to lower it a little faster?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks bigal, In just gonna wait it out then. How frequent should I be doing a water change? Once a week or can I do it a little more frequent to lower it a little faster?

If your Ammonia and Nitrite are back down to ZERO and remain that way even when an organic source is added to your tank then most likely your cycle is over. Do a couple of larger water changes on your schedule. Do one today, one tomorrow or whatever works for you. Just remember the NO3 (Nitrate) is removed by water changes and the amount of NO3 removed is proportional to the amount of water change. By this I mean if you do a 20% water change then you should see pretty close to a 20% reduction in NO3. This is why I suggest larger water changes because 5% - 10% is just spinning your wheels.

Tokalosh

IMG_2217.jpg

How long are the lights left on for and do you turn them off at night?

Thanks

Tok

StevieT

RS Sponsor
A lot of customers using that light have them on a reverse cycle, so they are on when the daylights are off to help regulate PH. Or just leave them on 24/7. On the RSM's you do have a transparent false wall so some light spillage may occur. It can be blocked if needed.

Tokalosh

A lot of customers using that light have them on a reverse cycle, so they are on when the daylights are off to help regulate PH. Or just leave them on 24/7. On the RSM's you do have a transparent false wall so some light spillage may occur. It can be blocked if needed.

Thanks Steve, just waiting for my light so that I can install it.

Tok