InLimbo87's Oceanic 33g Cube Thread

InLimbo87

My Nanocube 12 is no more :(

However, its been moved into my new Oceanic 33! :D

I used to have an oceanic 30 about a year ago, and sold it in the hopes of upgrading (ended up actually downgrading for a bit). But here I am again! Hoping to one-up my old tank.

Here's some Info on the setup:

Oceanic 33g Cube
Oceanic Cherry Stand
Sunpod 150w HQI w/ Powerpaq 14k bulb
Two Hydor Koralia 1's
Current "Subcurrent" Nanofilter
Ebo Jager Heater and Pinpoint Wireless Thermometer (love this combination)

About 40 lbs of LR
Very shallow sand bed

As for inhabitants, I've moved everything from my old 12g into this one (and added a new clown).

ok...ok... enough talking here's some pics:

FTS:

Feb13FTS.jpg

Duncan:

Feb13Duncan.jpg

New Clownfish:

Feb13NewClown2.jpg

Top Down:

Feb13TopDown.jpg

Lenny (the tailspot blenny):

Feb13Lenny.jpg

ORA Green Birdsnest:

Feb82008Birdsnest.jpg

InLimbo87

I did weekly 15% ish water changes and plan on sticking with that routine unless I start to run into any issues with nitrates/phosphates (which I don't forsee being a problem with the frequent changes and light daily feedings)

InLimbo87

Thanks Drew!

Got a steal on a coral yesterday at the LFS. I believe its an Acan Echinata colony and the colors are great!

Here's a pic:

Feb16LPS.jpg

Anyone else have these? Anything tips, etc to keep it happy, colorful, and growing?

InLimbo87

Thanks Guys!! I'm very happy with the setup so far :D

Michael: I'm sure your new nano setup's going to be awesome. I saw your thread on it (you are talking about the 12g, right?) and it looks like its going to be really nice. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

InLimbo87

UPDATE:

I decided I am going with a protein skimmer for this tank, and bought an AquaC Remora w/ Prefilter Surface Skimmer today!!

My ocellaris female jumped over the weekend :(, so the eggcrate went on the tank after that. I'm not taking any more chances, especially since I've gotten a new true perc :D

InLimbo87

The old true perc didn't make it either, I think he had an internal parasite as he slowly stopped eating and kind of wasted away. Here's a pic of my new two, healthy so far!

March12008TwoClowns.jpg

tbittner

Wow! I can't believe a perc jumped out of your tank! I haven't had a cover on my tank for months now and nobody has jumped. I wonder if I've just been lucky....

How is the Remora working for you? Has it made you *GAG* yet??? :lol:

InLimbo87

Thanks guys!

The Remora is still breaking in, but it is producing a wet skimmate at the moment. I'm hoping it lives up to all the good things said about it.

I had never had a clown jump until this one. She liked to hang out a lot near the top (sleeping at nite) and I think she just got startled by something. I've heard of clowns jumping before. I took the eggcrate off since, but my water level isn't as high as it was. I just didn't like all the light the eggcrate blocked from getting to the tank. Hope none of these guys jump...

tbittner

That's the reason I removed the eggcrate too. Dentoid built a really nice cover for his tank that doesn't block any light and it's so thin, it's barely noticable.