InLimbo87's NC12G DX Build Thread!

InLimbo87

Here begins my build/progress thread of my new Nanocube 12 DX!! :snshne:

The tank/stand was purchased locally from a fellow reefer. Only modifications done were a surface skimmer addition, and the stock pump was replaced with an MJ1200.

July17009.jpg

Equipment plans:
1st chamber: Mini-jet 606
2nd chamber: Refugium with Chaeto and LR Rubble being lit from the back
3rd chamber: Mini-jet 606 and bag of chemipure

I already modded the first chamber with a bulkhead in order to cleanly put another pump back here. Here are the pics.

In-Tank
July19007.jpg

Back Chamber
July19009.jpg

Flow from 1st chamber is a bit restricted now because the only elbow fitting i could find was only 3/8". I've now ordered a 1/2" piece to open up the flow more from that side.

Lastly, here's a FTS from this morning. Added about 10 lbs of well-cured LR (was in someones tank for over a year and cooking in a bucket at my place for about 2 weeks). Also added 1 5lb bag of Live Sand. Hoping my cycle will be very minimal, and I plan on watching the parameters until they are nice and stable before adding anything.

July20001.jpg

Thanks for checking out my thread :) Plenty more pics coming in the near future. :whstlr:

Cassette87

Very nice start indeed! I like the aquascape, very nice work! I could easily see ricordea all over those rocks :D So what are your plans for the tank?

InLimbo87

Thinking about a pair of clowns, not sure of the species yet and maybe a small goby. Probably going to go mixed softies and a couple LPS.

InLimbo87

Thanks for the kind words all :) Tank is finishing the last of its cycle (Ammonia and trites both spiked and went down to 0, nitrates are leveling off), and I added the CUC yesterday to take care of the crazy diatom bloom I had.

Have my first fish (tailspot blenny) on hold at the LFS for me. Waiting to make sure everything's kosher in his new home before I bring him home.

Setup the refugium last nite, just need some Chaeto in it and its good to go.

Pics to come shortly!

InLimbo87

Thanks!

Here are a couple new updated pics as of about a week ago. I'm getting some really good growth on the zoos, GSPs, and everything seems to be thriving. Fun watching all the corals mature and grow :D

FTS:
August27003.jpg

Zoos:
August27009.jpg

Toadstool Leather:
August19004.jpg

Lenny the Tailspot Blenny:
August5021.jpg

Sheniqua Brown the Clown (True Perc):
August5002.jpg

billyr98

tank is really looking good... u better slow down :) i started with a 12g nano too... and look where i am now ;)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Awesome FTS Ian! Yeah that cube rocks! I love that toadstool you have. I'm so jealous!!

Allen :)

InLimbo87

tank is really looking good... u better slow down :) i started with a 12g nano too... and look where i am now ;)

Thanks! This isn't my first tank, as I had a 30G oceanic before that I had sold in the hopes of going bigger. Once college is over and I've got a more permanent home, I'd like to get a 90 Gallon, but for now this will suffice. :snshne:

InLimbo87

Awesome FTS Ian! Yeah that cube rocks! I love that toadstool you have. I'm so jealous!!

Allen :)

Thanks Allen :D

I've been wanting a nice sized toadstool for a while now, and was so excited to find this one at my LFS! I'm really interested to see how big it will grow in a tank this size.