info on skimmers

First thing, any difference in performance between in-sump or external protein skimmers. Secondly, when deciding on a skimmer how do you factor in the required size. Is it by aquarium or system capacity? In my situation that could be the difference between 375 gallons or 580 gallons. Third and final question. Running multiple skimmers on one system. Good idea, bad idea? Your thoughts please.

Mike Johnson

That's a lot of water. Well, I'll give my opinion. 1. In sump skimmers overflow into the sump not the floor. 2. I would factor in system capacity. 3. Running more than one skimmer is certainly not detrimental and could be beneficial. The use of electricity might factor in. Hope that helps a little.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My $.02 worth.

If your total volume in your system is 580g then that's your number to go off of. Your skimming the entire system nit just the display tank. IMO

Redundancy certainly has its benefits with a lot of components when it comes to a reef tank however, I personally don't see any advantage by running dual skimmers on a system.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
600 gallon skimmers are around $900 i can get 2 300 gallon skimmers for around $600

Most manufacturers are pretty ambitious when it comes to gallon rating on their products. If I were considering a size or rating on a system such as yours, I'd be looking at using a skimmer rated at about 1 1/2 times the total water volume. In your case I'd consider looking into a product that says it can handle roughly 800-900 gallons.

miscommunication on my part. the numbers are 3 times what actual volume is. my tank is 125, refuge is a 40 gallon with 33 gallons capacity, the sump is 55 gallon with 35 gallon capacity.

Mike Johnson

There's no way that you're considering that protein skimmer, is there? If so, let us help you out, so you don't make a mistake that you're going to regret.

info plz. if i got that one i would be getting two to reach 600 gallon rating. or i will end up building one. the aquarium stand will allow for up to 4ft on one end.

Mike Johnson

Where do you see in that ad that it will handle 300 gallon tank. There's so many red flags about that skimmer the list is too long. 1. The air intake will make so much noise it will drive you out of your home. 2. They couldn't come up with a better photo? The tube in the middle is crooked. 3. Just a pump to run a skimmer that you need would cost twice as much. etc etc Why are you stuck on 3 times your volume? With a refugium you'll be cleaning the water. Some companies don't over-rate their products.

Mike Johnson

I'm sorry, I didn't read down the ad far enough. I don't believe anything in that ad. Plus, you can't clean that one. I'd beware of an ad for a protein skimmer that says it'll work in fresh water - impossible.

Check out the skimmer in this thread. It's the cheapest good skimmer you'll find. It will handle 185 - 240 gallon systems. There's lots of other good skimmers out there if you're willing to pay a lot more. I can vouch for this one though.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...scussion/85585-deals-reefers.html#post1190867

skimming fresh water is not impossible. i have a diy skimmer on my pond. it is called foam fraction. it is not as good as salt water, but it can be done. 3 times the system capacity is what i hear every where i go for answers. if i am receiving wrong info please share your thoughts

if i run a 55 gallon fuge with 45 gallon capacity and stock with various macros and seaweeds would that allow me to run a smaller skimmer.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
if i run a 55 gallon fuge with 45 gallon capacity and stock with various macros and seaweeds would that allow me to run a smaller skimmer.

Depends on the bio load you put in the main tank - how many fish are poopin', how much you feed or over feed, etc.

GlassMunky

IMHO there are 2 pices of equipment that you should NEVER SKIMP ON:
1) lights
2) skimmer

do yourself a favor and buy a good quality build skimmer from a well known and reputable reefing company.
you get what you pay for, and e-bay is cheap.......

a fuge and your skimmer will both filter your water, but they are sort of filtering different things from the water. having one by itself doesnt necessarily mean that you dont need the other.
just something to consider.

Skimmers and fuge remove the same things, just at different stages.
A swimmer removes as much fish waste,
and uneaten food as possible before it can
be broken down in to ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate. All these
chemicals are plant food. Pods and snails help also by cleaning up what a skimmer
passes up. In my research i have read that
protein skimmers only remove around 30% of the waste that passed thru. I have no plan of removing the protein skimmer from the system. I do understand everyone is trying to help, but i have to get the wife to sign off on everything about this. The lower the financial impact the easier. And she will do her own researchwhen i get the plan finally complete.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
Skimmers and fuge remove the same things, just at different stages.
A swimmer removes as much fish waste,
and uneaten food as possible before it can
be broken down in to ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and phosphate. All these
chemicals are plant food. Pods and snails help also by cleaning up what a skimmer
passes up. In my research i have read that
protein skimmers only remove around 30% of the waste that passed thru. I have no plan of removing the protein skimmer from the system. I do understand everyone is trying to help, but i have to get the wife to sign off on everything about this. The lower the financial impact the easier. And she will do her own researchwhen i get the plan finally complete.

Looks like you answered your own question.

GlassMunky

I guess I consider the unbroken down food and such as slightly different than once it's broken down. The skimmer gets the big particles and stuff before its broken down. The fuge gets the broken down stuff that the skimmer missed. Sorta 2 different sides of the same paper in my mind.