In depth informative topic?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
As I love this hobby so much, RS, all you guys and helping everyone out as you have all helped me, I was thinking about writing an in depth topic on something and would love to get some opinions on what to do :) Anything to do with any living creature (fish, coral, algae or whatever) or anything your heart desires. I love my research and would love to write another informative piece so give me some suggestions and I'll do my best to get out a great post :) (No reviews of equipment yet as I don't have any way of testing lol)

slfcaptain

This topic may have been beaten to death but right now I am interested in feeding protocols. What foods to feed to which animals to cover nutrional needs and promote good healthy growth. Right now I am trying to figure out what to feed my fish and corals and there are so many choices. Its hard to seperate the marketing from fact.

A hitchhiker identification flow chart would be nice too. The kind with questions like 'does it have legs?', then the answer would lead you to another question to help identify the organism.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve

Marvilis

How about an article on "how to get your tank ready for corals" I'm new to this hobby and my tank has cycled and currently have LR and Fish, but what is the next step if I want to take my tank to the next level.?

Last edited:

Wretched

First of all Mr. Wrangy I want you to get your tank and LEDs installed!!! Haha, then I second a nice beginner tutorial for corals. Also a list that include beginner hardy corals.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How about an article on "how to get your tank ready for corals" I'm new to this hobby and my tank has cycled and currently have LR and Fish, but what is the next step if I want to take my tank to the next level.?

Nice idea mate! :)

First of all Mr. Wrangy I want you to get your tank and LEDs installed!!! Haha, then I second a nice beginner tutorial for corals. Also a list that include beginner hardy corals.

Wretched I promise the first thing I do once I have my tank is install my LEDs and name the thread "LED install for Wretched" :p haha

So the most popular topic at the moment is corals, what, how to and who :) I'll start working on a beginner coral topic then :)
Once I've done that I'll move onto foods and feeding for you Steve or any other popular topic that gets suggested and is popular :)

Lipman

This will help me alot as this week ill be getting my first coral and NO CLUE what im doing hahah..
Your the best thanks for this!! :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Really nice of you Dom!!

Just want to do my bit to help everyone out and see their tanks thrive :) Thanks though!

This will help me alot as this week ill be getting my first coral and NO CLUE what im doing hahah..
Your the best thanks for this!! :)

I'll do my best to have it done for the end of the week then so you can have a read before or just as you get your coral :)

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You know how they have the lifestyle vs suitable dog breed for the person chart? Similarly a lifestyle vs type of corals chart would be good. For example a busy person would be better off with having hardier corals like zoas or shrooms etc :) You can use the "How many hours a day/week would you devote to the tank as a measurement for lifestyle.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You know how they have the lifestyle vs suitable dog breed for the person chart? Similarly a lifestyle vs type of corals chart would be good. For example a busy person would be better off with having hardier corals like zoas or shrooms etc :) You can use the "How many hours a day/week would you devote to the tank as a measurement for lifestyle.

That is a grouse idea!! I will be adding in something like that for sure! :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Okay so here's what I'm thinking let me know if you want any extra bits of info included :)

Coral overview: The different families and a rough description (I'll probably copy and paste from my other post and add a little more info)
Lifestyle vs Corals: What sort of corals suit your time constraints and daily life (thanks Nivek for the suggestion!! :))
Preparing your tank: A what and how much of what you need to be looking for and doing to prepare your tank for your corals
Buying corals: What to look for in a coral and what to avoid
Adding to your tank: How you should add a coral and what to do
Adjustment period: What should happen in the first few weeks to a month of getting your new friend
Dosing and feeding: What to dose, how, when and if you need too

That's what I'm thinking at the moment any suggestion will go a long way as I am just planning at the moment :)

YNot

Okay so here's what I'm thinking let me know if you want any extra bits of info included :)

Coral overview: The different families and a rough description (I'll probably copy and paste from my other post and add a little more info)
Lifestyle vs Corals: What sort of corals suit your time constraints and daily life (thanks Nivek for the suggestion!! :))
Preparing your tank: A what and how much of what you need to be looking for and doing to prepare your tank for your corals
Buying corals: What to look for in a coral and what to avoid
Adding to your tank: How you should add a coral and what to do
Adjustment period: What should happen in the first few weeks to a month of getting your new friend
Dosing and feeding: What to dose, how, when and if you need too

That's what I'm thinking at the moment any suggestion will go a long way as I am just planning at the moment :)

This may, or may not, fall under the category of "Dosing and feeding" but, it was sort of new (still is) to me.
We feed our corals. Some are target fed, others just get whatever floats by. At first, we thought that as long as the water parmeters were fine, the only other thing that needed to be done is to feed everyone.

Recently we were educated on the fact that corals like (some need) supplements.
My wife calls them "vitamins for corals". Since we've started adding the supplements to the tank, our Zoas, Duncan and Sun corals have damn near popped out of the tank. It's almost as if we gave them a kick in the butt and they liked it. :)

So perhaps something in addition to just Dosing and Feeding such as "Dosing, Feeding and Supplements"?

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
This may, or may not, fall under the category of "Dosing and feeding" but, it was sort of new (still is) to me.
We feed our corals. Some are target fed, others just get whatever floats by. At first, we thought that as long as the water parmeters were fine, the only other thing that needed to be done is to feed everyone.

Recently we were educated on the fact that corals like (some need) supplements.
My wife calls them "vitamins for corals". Since we've started adding the supplements to the tank, our Zoas, Duncan and Sun corals have damn near popped out of the tank. It's almost as if we gave them a kick in the butt and they liked it. :)

So perhaps something in addition to just Dosing and Feeding such as "Dosing, Feeding and Supplements"?

Yeah I have heard of supplements like aminos and vitamins and the likes, I'll add it into that section :)

Sounds like a dissertation Dom. When your done we'll have to call you Dr. Dom.

Steve

haha I wouldn't disagree :p lol just trying to help everyone achieve any goal they want with their tanks and the more we know the better off our tanks are :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Coral overview: done
Lifestyle vs Corals: done
Preparing your tank: done
Buying corals: done
Adding to your tank: done
Adjustment period: Nearly there
Dosing and feeding: Not complete

Just a mental note to myself :)

theplantman

Dom,

Sounds like a nice in depth beginners guide, one thing I would consider as you draft it is possibly providing links to articles or names of the resources you use in your research so that anyone that reads it, no matter what skill level will find some solace that it is solid information. There are numerous opinions out there about coral care, what should be kept and where, what should be fed or not, whether to dose a tank or not and some are more respected than others by reefers. Also, when it's done, don't be surprised if it generates debate and definitely don't be discouraged, it's healthy, as I said above, there are numerous ways to do things in this hobby and what works well for one reef keeper's set up may not work at all for another.

Thanks for doing this for everyone, It's great when members pass their experiences and research on to the club in general. I look forward to the upcoming read. Oh and if you have not thought about it, pics of the corals you are reviewing would be awesome.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Dom,

Sounds like a nice in depth beginners guide, one thing I would consider as you draft it is possibly providing links to articles or names of the resources you use in your research so that anyone that reads it, no matter what skill level will find some solace that it is solid information. There are numerous opinions out there about coral care, what should be kept and where, what should be fed or not, whether to dose a tank or not and some are more respected than others by reefers. Also, when it's done, don't be surprised if it generates debate and definitely don't be discouraged, it's healthy, as I said above, there are numerous ways to do things in this hobby and what works well for one reef keeper's set up may not work at all for another.

Thanks for doing this for everyone, It's great when members pass their experiences and research on to the club in general. I look forward to the upcoming read. Oh and if you have not thought about it, pics of the corals you are reviewing would be awesome.

I completely agree with you mate and I have all my references written down (books and articles) so if anyone wishes to buy them and read the backgrounds then they can at their own leisure and I'll be linking all the websites I use as well :) I'm trying to keep it as unbiased as I possibly can because I know how fierce people can be about what is the right or wrong way, I'm aiming more to explain each way without pointing people in any certain path but rather so they have the info so that they can begin planning their own path on what they see fit for their tanks :)