imput wanted

TDEVIL

well, i upgrading my lighting, as some of you know, and i was wandering which type to get, 400w MH
i am thinking about XMs or Radiums maybe 10k and i will have 4 VHOs with the 3 MHs, just wanted some imput on the type of bulb that will give me the best bang for the buck, ie, growth with the SPSs :)

thanks

Jay

TDEVIL

thanks Wit, i cant believe i forgot about Joe's site and all the work he has done
im still not sure which, the XM's have a killer Par value, but the radiums bring out some great color as well, i guess i will decide when i order them :), they are both great bulbs anyways, lol

Jay

wooddood

the wood dude
jay you know i'm running the 250 watt 10k xm's but i was talking to mike {mojo] in chat the other night and brian mike and i were talking about bulbs and he's running radiums. he said the glass is thicker better color and they last longer, a little more expensive but i think thats the way i'm going to go when mine need replaced.

wooddood

the wood dude
:D no problemo jay i really think radiums are the way to go, but make your own decision on that. but is still want to see it in person, let me know buddy.:p

TDEVIL

thanks Curt, man he had some time on his hands to do all of that with Joe's pics, but, very nice of him to do that :)

Jay

mps9506

With the 400 watters, the 20k bulbs are really great.
I have yet to see anyone's tank with the 400 watt XM 20k's in person yet.
I have seen 20k Radiums, 10k AB's, 10k and 20k Ushio.
All my personal experience is 250watt bulbs.
But my preference in the 400watters would be either the radiums or the ab's.
In all reality, it is a matter of color perference with these bulbs.
I promise, at the 400 watt level, unless you have an insanely large tank, all these bulbs will make your corals grow at a decent rate.
Keep in mind on Joe's site, he tested 250watt bulbs, doesn't always translate the same with the 400 watters.
Anyways, to the point, if I were running 400watters, I'd probably be running the radiums.
Mike