I'm going out of town and leaving a hypo tank behind...

Big Jay

So I have MI. I am setting up an emergancy hospital tank that I will turn into my Qt after the hypo treatment. My question is, how can I make it nearly fool proof for my house sitter?

If I make a bunch of hypo water that has the pH set and make an easy water change system would that work?

What about top off water? Should I set the pH in my top off water too?

It is impossible to make an ATO on this tank.

Any suggestions? The tank will not be cycled by the time I leave and a water change will need to happen a few times while I'm gone to battle ammonia. More for safety.

There are 6 small fish going into a 20H.

leebca

For the process to be done properly your house/tank sitter will need the following information and abilities:
1. How to make a proper water change -- keeping pH, salinity, and temperature constant;
2. How to test water for ammonia and nitrites using a test kit;
3. When to take the action to make a water change;
4. The ability to telephone you or an expert if things don't seem to look right;
5. The ability to feed these fishes three times a day AND to remove uneaten food; and
6. Being able to change filters and/or keep proper maintenance on the system.

You can prepare water for the water change, but water storage will shift pH as bacteria in the water grow.

I travel quite a bit yet I have a double system. My neighbor does basic feedings and light maintenance. Then I have an expert I know on call to help out if the neighbor sees something unusual. The expert will come and check out things (do tests, etc.) on a periodic basis, and perform a water change for my long absences.

It's not easy to leave a marine system, but you do your best. :)

Big Jay

For the process to be done properly your house/tank sitter will need the following information and abilities:
1. How to make a proper water change -- keeping pH, salinity, and temperature constant;
2. How to test water for ammonia and nitrites using a test kit;
3. When to take the action to make a water change;
4. The ability to telephone you or an expert if things don't seem to look right;
5. The ability to feed these fishes three times a day AND to remove uneaten food; and
6. Being able to change filters and/or keep proper maintenance on the system.

You can prepare water for the water change, but water storage will shift pH as bacteria in the water grow.

I travel quite a bit yet I have a double system. My neighbor does basic feedings and light maintenance. Then I have an expert I know on call to help out if the neighbor sees something unusual. The expert will come and check out things (do tests, etc.) on a periodic basis, and perform a water change for my long absences.

It's not easy to leave a marine system, but you do your best. :)
Do you think it would be easier to medicat with Copper? I can pre mix water change SW with copper.

Also, do you think that raising the pH of the Top off water will help keep the pH from swing so much? I have a fairly tight lid on the tank and I'm going to pic up a sponge filter and air stone today.

leebca

I think there is less to do in the copper treatment. Treatment using Cupramine is the best way forward. Less water quality problems to worry about, but still the person needs to know how and when to make a water change and test for ammonia readings over 0.5ppm.

If the person can test for the copper content, that would be good. Pre-made, Cupramine containing water for exchanges would work, I think. You need to use Cupramine for this. I wouldn't trust any other copper medication. The sitter will still need to know when and how to make a water change.

Using top off water to help control the pH is a good idea. But you just can't take it to an extreme. I mean, this is good to make minor effects or an attempt to hold the pH steady in the QT, but it isn't so good to correct an error or a problem with. Still, the direction you're going is good. Making it as idiot proof as you can is good.

Big Jay

Since no one in town has any copper anything I have resorted to and internet order that should arrive monday or tuesday. I'm going to pull the fish tonight or tomorrow. Should I give them a freshwater bath before putting them in the QT?

Also, The only thing I'm worried about is pH. I'm hoping that the water changes (25% every 2 days) will keep the amm. down and the ph stable. The temp is stable at 78 in the QT. I tested it with a couple of thermometers. I have a Hanna pH/Temp meter coming with the Cupramine and the test kit.

I think I'm more stressed than the fish.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
hey lee. Just wanna say thanks for all the good advice. U have helped me a few times n countless others. So again thanks. Matt

leebca

Things are not looking too secure. The change water every two days plan is weak. Water changes are needed when and if Ammonia goes over 0.5ppm. If there is a fully functional biological filter in the QT, then the every two days would be regular maintenance changes.

Leaving without a fully functional biological filter and without the helper understanding what will need to be done and when to do it and how to test for it, is very risky.

Don't bother with a FW dip unless you see the fish is heavily loaded with spots. The FW dip does't cure, but can help a dying fish get over the hump until the meds cure. If you really think your fish are dying, then leaving them in the hands of someone that doesn't care or know what they're doing is very risky.

I understand your state of 'stressness.' I too feel the same when my fish are unwell.

With that Cupramine, you should also have ordered a Salifert Copper Test Kit in order to verify the proper copper content is in the QT and in the water you will prepare in advance.

Matt,

You're more than welcome. Glad to have helped and even more glad to hear that I have. Thank you.

LEE

Meeki

hey lee. Just wanna say thanks for all the good advice. U have helped me a few times n countless others. So again thanks. Matt
Yes, thank you Lee for your advices, we are lucky having you on this Forum, helps us so much

Big Jay

Thanks Lee. I can't get anyone here (home) that knows anything about fish. So I'm left with the basics. I have a copper kit coming too. I will get the place set up to do a water change every day.

Thanks again, you have been a huge help!

ReeferJ

just gonna throw this out there in case you didn't know - fish can kick ich on their own - alot of people claim they have luck with treatment but i think it makes it even worse on the fish

Big Jay

My clowns, and a couple wrasses look ok but the tangs and my best wrasse as signs they are lossing the battle. I added an air pump and some stones. It made a HUGE difference in the pH swing. Tomorrow I'm going to make a simple water change kit/station so the sitter will make short work of it. I'm going to change out 8 gallons daily.

Again, thanks for the help Lee. I think this is going to work out just fine.