i'm confused about something else...

lemonpeel20

my brain coral.

i don't have a ton of pictures of how it was looking when i thought it was doing good, but it was really bright green and tentacles were coming out at night. i posted some pictures on my tank thread. Then yesterday I saw three hermits going to town on it... it was kinda disturbing, well it was WC day anyway, so i shook off some sand that was on it and it looked lke a bunch of slime and little bright green pieces came off of it and now it looks like this

5b4410d0.jpg

can i do anything right? am i destined to have everything befall an awful fate? :maddown:

I'm sorry to say that he seems like a goner. if most of the flesh is gone then it's tough to get them to grow back. what kind of lighting do you have on your 20 gallon? are they power compacts? if so it may have not been enough light for the guy or someone was harming him. Don't give up yet, there's often an explanation to their demise.

lemonpeel20

it looks like it has some something like slime in it now? teacampuzano, you say "it's hard for them to grow back"... so there's a chance?

Varga

sorry but your Brain coral is dead. Would be pretty tough to pin down the reason. Do you have other corals in the tank?

lemonpeel20

i have a duncan, that's thriving, heads open and feeding... a kenya tree that's recouping from brown slime disease... and a zoa colony that's doing pretty good, polyps opening and growing..

seafansar

My only guess is that the kenya tree released a bunch of toxins cause it's not doing so well. Leathers are notorious for chemical warfare and the brain might not have been able to take it. Do you run any carbon?